Where's the line?

Lee Grant

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Some questions regarding goal- and other lines. Pardon non-law language.

When a player has his foot on the 22 line he can kick the ball directly into touch and his side can gain ground because he is deemed to be kicking from within the 22.

Similarly, when he has his foot on his own goal-line, a moving ball kicked by an opponent, which has not yet passed the goal line, can be picked up by him and if he then grounds the ball in-goal his team is awarded a 22 drop out.

And so on.

So a defender on his own goal-line should not be pinged for offside if his back foot is on the goal line but his front foot isn't, and most of his body is over the plane.

Likewise a defender should not be pinged if his back foot is behind the ruck offside line, or on it, but the other one is in front of it.

Are these assumptions correct?

Whether a player should be involved with such risky practices is another matter.

Ruck offside line

When players are on their feet and in contact over the ball there is a ruck; the two offside lines are fairly clear.

But what if the players fall down, or only some of them do? Are the original offside lines still there, or are they moved to the last players standing on either side, or when everybody is down are there no offside lines because there is no ruck? ,

In other words: do defenders have to wait until either the ball is picked up, or it clears the last foot of a fallen player before they advance?

Offside line from a kick

A player chases a ball kicked by a team mate, takes it and "scores".

The TMO is asked to check if he was onside at the kick. Everything mentioned below is "clear and obvious". (Nice in theory).

Where does the offside line start exactly? Does it start from the point where the ball left the kicker's foot, or does it start slightly more back, from where his back foot was planted?

And where does the offside line meet the "try scorer." Is it enough for him to have his back foot behind the offside line or does his whole body have to be behind it?

Ball taken back in goal.

If a defender chases an opponent's kick, takes the bouncing ball then runs over his own goal-line and grounds it, it is a five-metre scrum for the attacking team.

But what if he reaches forward and takes the ball after it has passed the plane of the goal-line but his back foot was grounded, not in-goal, as he took it. Did he "take it back"?

And what if he caught the ball in his run and nether foot was on the ground at the time that he took it?

Does it matter where his back foot was when he took his last stride to catch the ball, or where his landing foot landed—or are these things irrelevant and it's only where the ball was in relation to the plane when he took it that matters?

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hi Lee

Wow, what a lot of questions?

So a defender on his own goal-line should not be pinged for offside if his back foot is on the goal line but his front foot isn't, and most of his body is over the plane.

Both feet must be behind the offside line.

In other words: do defenders have to wait until either the ball is picked up, or it clears the last foot of a fallen player before they advance?

Yes they do. Players not on their feet (ball carrier?) are still part of the ruck.

Where does the offside line start exactly? Does it start from the point where the ball left the kicker's foot, or does it start slightly more back, from where his back foot was planted?

And where does the offside line meet the "try scorer." Is it enough for him to have his back foot behind the offside line or does his whole body have to be behind it?

The kick starts when the ball makes contact with/leaves the boot.
The other players must be behind the kicker or a line across the pitch, level with him. Think of a kick off, it's just the same.

But what if he reaches forward and takes the ball after it has passed the plane of the goal-line but his back foot was grounded, not in-goal, as he took it. Did he "take it back"?

No, because the ball isn't in goal until it touches the ground, or a player in in-goal. Where is his front foot? If any foot is in goal and he collects a moving ball the kicker put it in. If he collects a stationary ball, then he took it in.

And what if he caught the ball in his run and nether foot was on the ground at the time that he took it?

Does it matter where his back foot was when he took his last stride to catch the ball, or where his landing foot landed—or are these things irrelevant and it's only where the ball was in relation to the plane when he took it that matters?

Bit of a judgement call that one. We would probably compare it to the in-touch law, which is a bit ambiguous in this area.

PS: we love answering questions but please try not yo ask so many in one thread. You will get more thorough answers to single questions.

PPS do you live in Cornwall?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Picking up the ball has no relevance from an offside point of view. Clearing the last foot is all that matters.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Picking up the ball has no relevance from an offside point of view. Clearing the last foot is all that matters.

Mmmmm, shall i bite?

I don't always agree with the back foot thing, :shrug:

if a SH reaches into a ruck and picks up the ball (not dragging it back), surely the ruck is over? I always instruct players that once a SH (assuming it's them) picks the ball up, if they've come from an "on-side postion" the SH is fair game!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
if a SH reaches into a ruck and picks up the ball (not dragging it back), surely the ruck is over? I always instruct players that once a SH (assuming it's them) picks the ball up, if they've come from an "on-side postion" the SH is fair game!
It is one I often hear in a pre-match brief, but I disagree. The ball is not "out" at that point ie the scrum half cannot pass it while his hands are still in the ruck. If we allow the scrum half to grab the ball in the ruck (and I agree with that) we must surely give him a meaningful chance to do something with it.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
It is one I often hear in a pre-match brief, but I disagree. The ball is not "out" at that point ie the scrum half cannot pass it while his hands are still in the ruck. If we allow the scrum half to grab the ball in the ruck (and I agree with that) we must surely give him a meaningful chance to do something with it.

My 2p

Imagine a 2D overview , draw a line around the perimeter of what you consider the ruck area, surely its out when the ball leaves that*area? Unless you subscribe to the 3D version of same .

I don't.

Ignoring the " handling in ruck 16.4(b) offence" is done solely to facilitate the back into play, so 2D removal is consistent with that aim , i see no logic to giving defences any space closing advantages against that, defensive pressure is close enough with modern shallow rucks.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
My 2p

Imagine an overview , draw a line around the perimeter of what you consider the ruck area, surely its out when the ball leaves that*area? Unless you subscribe to the 3D version of same .

I don't.

So if the SH lifts the ball four/five/six feet off the ground, but holds it at arms length so it is still within the perimeter of the ruck as you descibe. Is it in or out?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My 2p

Imagine an overview , draw a line around the perimeter of what you consider the ruck area, surely its out when the ball leaves that*area? Unless you subscribe to the 3D version of same .

I don't.
Neither do i.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So if the SH lifts the ball four/five/six feet off the ground, but holds it at arms length so it is still within the perimeter of the ruck as you descibe. Is it in or out?
There is another criterion: once the scrum half has the ball and is able to remove it from the ruck, he must do so, otherwise it is handling in the ruck. His licence does not extend to delaying.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
There is another criterion: once the scrum half has the ball and is able to remove it from the ruck, he must do so, otherwise it is handling in the ruck. His licence does not extend to delaying.

which is effectlivly what i'm saying (MAYBE NOT VERY WELL) I will not allow a SH to reach in lift the ball and stay there looking at what's going on, if he picks it up he must use it immediatly, he is now "fair game to players coming from an on-side position" i think this is a lot better than those that think "hands on" is out.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

& we see this happen how many times a season? , Ive never seen it.

For the benefit of discussion only, if I do see a SH fannying about in such a way ( why would he contemplate such a numpty act) then I'd likely forget to have checked where the ruck defenders feet were ! My error would be caused by his ballet-esk distraction.

John3822

Active Referee
Post Likes
My 2p as well
PMB instruction to all players, "Hands-on is not out, ball is out once it passes back foot."
PMB to SH "If you put your hands on the ball, use it straight away."

Seems to work, and the blessing of not having "Hands-on" yelled at every ruck cannot be over-estimated.
:biggrin:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
My 2p as well
PMB instruction to all players, "Hands-on is not out, ball is out once it passes back foot."

Seems to work, and the blessing of not having "Hands-on" yelled at every ruck cannot be over-estimated.

To help remove the unhelpful ' hands on' phrase, why not say to SH "if you've lifted it , do something very quickly - kick pass, or run"

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
My 2p as well

But a SH can be reaching forward (hands well forward of last foot) when he picks it up. As he is lifting the ball it may still be in the ruck BUT once it is clear of bodies it IS out and he is now fair game for on side defenders. This can happen forward of where the last feet are.
He cannot get his hands on and then fanny about looking from side to side deciding what he is going to do and he cannot lift the ball and hold it inside the ruck and then fanny about looking from side to side deciding what he is going to do.
The ball is out when it is clear of bodies and that can include horizontal or vertical movement.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I thought there was a recent IRB directive that said the ball is only out when clear of the back foot? Don't know where it is though.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
If the scrum half lifts the ball its out IMO Ruck definition!! ball is no longer on the ground !!!!

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If the scrum half lifts the ball its out IMO Ruck definition!! ball is no longer on the ground !!!!

That's what I always thought, but recently I've been told there's this new directive