Whistle Tone

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Hi all, starting out as a referee this season for my clubs junior games on Friday nights, I am after some advice/ hints on how to develop my whistle tone.

How do referees get the different tones from their whistle, rather than just getting the shrill high pitched tone and just blowing longer or shorter (penalty vs scrum etc)? Are there any online resources, such as instructional youtube videos or anything?

Thank you

dgilks

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I assume you have the ACME Thunderer 58.5 (it seems to be the standard issue whistle in Australia). I suggest you play around with blowing the whistle at different places in your mouth. When placed at the front I get a higher pitch, at the sides I get a deeper tone. Then try rolling the whistle up and down. Up and the tone will be lower, down and it will be higher. Try twisting it in the mouth. Then try moving it further in or pulling it further out. Further in, you get a deeper tone, further out, higher.

I can't find any instructional videos but I hope the above helps. If you want more help, talk to more experienced referees in your association as I'm sure someone will be willing to help you.

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Thanks for that, will try tomorrow rather than wake the neighbours up tonight :D

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Thanks for that, will try tomorrow rather than wake the neighbours up tonight :D
Practice in the car. :wink:

I live in a terraced house, but started getting errrr ... comments from the neighbours. Keep the whistle in the car and practice when you're on your tod.

Having said that I still haven't managed to get it right. :eek:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Bizarre as it might seem:

If you have a bath, then get in it, filled with water, and take a deep breath, and then submerge yourself and then blow the whistle.

In the water you can hear it, and so can try getting the different tones (it will sound different in water/out of water but you can practise getting different notes out of it). And the benefit is the neighbours won't complain...

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

If you have a bath, then get in it, filled with water, and take a deep breath, and then submerge yourself and then blow the whistle.

In the water you can hear it, and so can try getting the different tones (it will sound different in water/out of water but you can practise getting different notes out of it). And the benefit is the neighbours won't complain...

How on earth did you find that out? :wow: :eek:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Doesn't it make your pea swell :wow: :eek:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
How on earth did you find that out? :wow: :eek:

Unsurprisingly I was advised by someone else that this was better than annoying the neighbours or getting strange looks out in the park.

But then it was a Kiwi, so don't ask me how he found out!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I suggest you play around with blowing the whistle at different places in your mouth. When placed at the front I get a higher pitch, at the sides I get a deeper tone. Then try rolling the whistle up and down. Up and the tone will be lower, down and it will be higher. Try twisting it in the mouth. Then try moving it further in or pulling it further out. Further in, you get a deeper tone, further out, higher.

mate, I can get you a gig in Kings Cross - no worries

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
some good tips in here for newbies...not just the whistle either. (get a copy of the ring bound version to keep handy)

http://www.irb.com/mm/document/training/0/rugbyrefinpractice_426.pdf

(my only tip - tho more for DGilks when Dickie gets him his Kings Cross gig - is to not grip it with your teeth and then forget to to release it when you reef it out of your mouth!)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
some good tips in here for newbies...not just the whistle either. (get a copy of the ring bound version to keep handy)
Where do we get the "ring bound version" from? :chin:

dgilks

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
(my only tip - tho more for DGilks when Dickie gets him his Kings Cross gig - is to not grip it with your teeth and then forget to to release it when you reef it out of your mouth!)

Well played sir.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I did mean the whistle!!! (it bloody hurts!):biggrin: