Whistle tone

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
Back when I was in the UK and the beneficiary of regular coaching / assessment, I was regularly praised for my penalty whistle tone which was (and remains) censorious in nature. I notice in the last couple of seasons that the penalty whistle tone used by some (though not all) of the Premiership / World Rugby guys has moved away from a censorious tone to a very matter-of-fact tone (if people think I am now going mad, I apologise). There are still some from the old school (Nigel Owens, for example), but most seem to have moved to this new approach. Has anyone else noticed this and/or tried to switch their tone. After the best part of twelve years refereeing (since I was 20), I have tried to switch in less key games and found it very hard!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Peep for a minor, blast for a PK, simples!

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
Sorry - I may have expressed myself poorly. Very aware of the basic differentiation between levels of offence, but I am talking about a much more nuanced difference in tone over the last couple of seasons for PK offences (excluding major acts of foul play). If you think I'm imagining things, that's fine!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I know there are some that use their hand over the whistle to get a different tone you can also squeeze the whistle too this will allow you to get different tones, but TBH once I start, I just revert back to normal.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think Steve Walsh's tone is very good - not AP I know but I must admit I don't watch the AP much.

I think a lot of the SH referees (S15, ITM, Currie) seem to have indistinguishable tones for scrum/FK/PK.

I use much the same as BFG. If I try and be too flash it can end up like a frog fart!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Dave, you're not alone.

Thank God. I thought I was.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The rugby league guys do it the best

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I agree Dave. noticeable contrast between JPD and Barnesy in this with Doyler quite matter of fact and Wayne a more old school blast. As long as it's accurate no one likely to mention it!

- - - Updated - - -

I agree Dave. noticeable contrast between JPD and Barnesy in this with Doyler quite matter of fact and Wayne a more old school blast. As long as it's accurate no one likely to mention it!