Yellow Card.

vimpe22

Referees in Sri Lanka
Post Likes
This happened in a sevens match . Referee sees dangerous play but signals for advantage . Play goes on and a try is scored and converted. The referee comes back talks to AR whose flag too was out . Referee issues yellow card and continues with a restart drop .

Restart drop is ok as the issue was before try.

question. Can the referee go back and issue a yellow as he has played advantage and scored. Should it have been an admonishing and talking to player / captain and say " I saw it but played advantage " If this happens again it may be a red !!!

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
This happened in a sevens match . Referee sees dangerous play but signals for advantage . Play goes on and a try is scored and converted. The referee comes back talks to AR whose flag too was out . Referee issues yellow card and continues with a restart drop .

question. Can the referee go back and issue a yellow as he has played advantage and scored. Should it have been an admonishing and talking to player / captain and say " I saw it but played advantage " If this happens again it may be a red !!!

For me the ref gets this right. Why should the offender get away with no yellow?

I had this in a tight league game last year, local derby 5 points in it.

Blue make a break and have a 2 on 1 full back draws the last defender and passes to the winger. The FB gets hit by a YC worthy dangerous tackle.

My heart sinks - I want to play advantage and allow the score (the winger was clear just outside the 22) but was very aware of risk of a flare up.

In the end I hedged my bets with a loud shout of I've seen it and slowly followed the ball carrier thereby being closer the tackle zone than the in goal. I just hoped that there was no doubt on the grounding as I was 10 m away from it

I awarded the try and then the YC to the (very contrite) defender.

Restarted the game with a KO rather than PK as the foul play was before the try

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Toby
Presumably you wanted to play advantage as you felt the try would probably be scored - as even though the winger was not inside the 22m there was no defense.

However, isn't that the requirement for a Penalty Try?

Camquin

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Toby
Presumably you wanted to play advantage as you felt the try would probably be scored - as even though the winger was not inside the 22m there was no defense.

However, isn't that the requirement for a Penalty Try?

Camquin

I can't see any argument for a PT - the foul play didn't impact on the try being scored - it was a late tackle after the ball had gone. So even if the winger had dropped it it would have been a PK only.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes

Hi Vimal,

I didn't know you were on RR.com :)

Ok with me from the ref on this. I've done that before myself.
As Toby mentioned, no reason for the player committing dangerous play to get away with it.

Cheers,
Pierre (who has finally recovered from SL 7's a few weeks back)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
YC spot on.

Advantage is for the PK, not the YC.

didds

vimpe22

Referees in Sri Lanka
Post Likes
Pierre

Been on RR from around 2010. Same time as you . This happened at the Carlton Sevens last week . Thought it was a good call !!

Blue Smartie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
No issues with playing advantage and still going back to YC a player. The point I would make would be that ref may want to deal with the flag (and YC) before awarding the try. One might look daft if the AR had a flag for something different or retaliation by the scoring side.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Agreed with Blue Smartie here:
Best sequence would probably be something like:
1. Ball Carrier "Scores"
2. Ref stops time and talk to AR
3. Try awarded
4. YC card given
5. Time on
6. Conversion taken
7. Carry on with the game

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Had a similar one last Saturday. Lifting tackle by Red defender, advantage Blue. Play moves downfield so advantage over. Blue knock-on.

Whistle, time off, Red tackler in bin, restart with the scrum to Red.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
In this case I assume the offense took place well down field and Blue gained sufficient territory and you had already called advantage over.

I the original case - unless there was comms to clarify who had offended, I would not award the try until checking with the AR in case the penalty is against the ball carrier. SO score, time off, check, issue YC award try.

In Toby's case had he decided that a flare up was going to happen and a shout of "seen it" was not going to defuse it and therefore he had had to whistle - then I think he had the option of the PT. But as ever only whistle if you have to, so it is better to let the try be scored properly.

Mr.Christopher

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
A penalty try should only be awarded if the infraction directly prevented a try being scored (see 10.2a as an example. In the case you indicated, an infraction occurred that was worthy of a YC. As the non-offending team had possession, advantage was played (and gained) as per normal penalty advantage.

Regardless of what happens after advantage was gained (a score, another penalty advantage, a knock-on... whatever), the ref can and should go back and show the offending player the YC. The only caveat here is that, upon showing the YC, you don't go back for the penalty (advantage was gained)... you resume play with whatever was going to happen anyway (restart, scrum, etc).