Level 2
Aaaww. I don't know ..all he said was "you're full of fun!"

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
ANY player spoke to me like that on the field, and they ended up standing behind their own dead-ball line for five minutes.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Straight red; No further discussion required on the field.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
And he's copped to saying it, complete with an elaborate reformation of the sportsman's standard boilerplate non-apology apology.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/05/zak-hardaker-leeds-rhinos-apology-homophobic-comments

Here's the problem with "I apologise for any offence caused", or similar constructions, as explained by a business writer:

One thing many people say, which you should NEVER say, is, “If I offended you, I apologize." That is the worst sort of fake apology: It’s like stealing someone's wallet, and saying, “I'm sorry if you felt you were inconvenienced.” When you say “If I offended you, I apologize,” you’re implying that the other person is to blame-for being so over-sensitive as to be offended, or so selfish a to demand an apology. You’re making it clear that you’re not sorry for anything YOU did; you just resent the other person’s reaction.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Did the guy on the left say, "your a ****ing fag"?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Here's the problem with "I apologise for any offence caused", or similar constructions, as explained by a business writer:

Some simply argue that apologies aren't necessary ....
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K3dhN0zgdpU&list=PL6zYURQSi47QTUSfK60OYJDf6NYmD1_zS

In fact some might argue, that insincere apologies ( if that was what was being delivered) cover the middle ground !

Ps... Even the OP title might offend the named player, or his relatives or friends.

(Ponders & Winks )

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Pretty open and shut case, really. Still holding out hope for a Grade F (8+ matches minimum) charge, but this is the easy out to go with Grade E (4-8 matches) if they're looking for one.

There was a mercifully small contingent of Leeds fans at another place, arguing absolutely up and down and all day long that lip-reading is totally unreliable you guys. And the whole investigation was all a stitch-up by the RFL because they all love Saints/Cas/Hull/Wigan/Huddersfield.

They're getting a little bit of stick now. It's quite funny.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Pretty open and shut case, really. Still holding out hope for a Grade F (8+ matches minimum) charge, but this is the easy out to go with Grade E (4-8 matches) if they're looking for one.

They went with Grade E and a 5-week ban:

Note this from Brian McDermott:

"We were pleased that the panel made a particular point of saying that they did not believe that Zak had meant his comment as a homophobic remark and that they considered that Zak was not homophobic."

It's quite amazing how many people who are not homophobic (or racist, in other cases) come out with homophobic (or racist) comments in the heat of the moment. It's almost as if they are actually homophobic (or racist) but no-one wants to admit it.