Olympic Games - How are you doing?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
3rd aint bad......considering the size of the countries below us?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
3rd aint bad......considering the size of the countries below us?

yep - lap it up while you can cause like us once youve finished hosting the govt will cut the spending on sport and get back to spending on things that will really matter...within 2 olympic campaigns youll be back to where you were (like our crappy tally this games).

enjoy those white elephant facilities you spent billions on. Sydneys olypmic precinct is largely a ghost town now although stadium gets the odd use every now and then. but thats what you get when you have the honour of hosting.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
(insert N.I. flag here).

<Pendant on>
Since it's "Team Great Britain" - why do we include athletes from Northern Ireland, which isn't part of GB?

Why isn't it "Team UK?"
<Pedant Off>

Davet

Post Likes
Oh - and anyway...

Whilst I am not a fan of the National Dirge, what have they done to it?

Before the "Send her victorious...." bit there should be 4 short ascending notes rising from the low "God save the queen" to a sort of triumphant "Send her...."

What we have is some sort of 2 note glissande that does nothing to lift the song. And it really does need a lift.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
<Pendant on>
Since it's "Team Great Britain" - why do we include athletes from Northern Ireland, which isn't part of GB?

Why isn't it "Team UK?"
<Pedant Off>

Because the IOC membership is Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Oh - and anyway...

Before the "Send her victorious...." bit there should be 4 short ascending notes rising from the low "God save the queen" to a sort of triumphant "Send her...."

What we have is some sort of 2 note glissande that does nothing to lift the song. And it really does need a lift.

To stop people singing................ nah nah nah nah Send her victorious....... :biggrin:

Yes why is is not Team UK or Team GB&NI or more to the point why is it "Team" anything? Chuffing branding bollocky nonsense! (God forbid "Team Lions" go out to Australia next year!!)

Why not the GB&NI team?

Also why do I get anoyed at all the Union flags that are upside down or can they be upside down if they're not flying off a pole? (you could be seeing them from the back)

And............ that's it.

Apart from that I'm enjoying it immensely.

:biggrin:
:pepper:
:bday:

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
AKA the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (acronym: UK). You have made Davet's point for him.

Er no I don't make his point at all, it is a naming convention - the membership is Great Britain & Northern Ireland NOT United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland.

UK Athletics (an official name in this country) is know as Great Britain (GBR) in international athletics events.

Team GB is the 'Brand' as opposed to Team UK - why I have not the faintest idea, but probably due to the likes of Clive Woodward sitting in a meeting three or four years ago :biggrin:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
AKA the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (acronym: UK). You have made Davet's point for him.
For some reason we are listed as United Kingdom ... at the UN, but Great Britain at the IOC. I imagine it has to do with history - the Olympics preceded the UN and the political set up was different in 1896.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Oh - and anyway...

I agree. And the standard harmony has better resonance as well.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For some reason we are listed as United Kingdom ... at the UN, but Great Britain at the IOC. I imagine it has to do with history - the Olympics preceded the UN and the political set up was different in 1896.

Maybe neither United nor Great?

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
I am glad to see you guys doing so well. That Jamaican girl Ennis who won the Pentathlon is awesome. I expected her to have a very proper English accent. That is not the case. Andy Murray is back to being British now. Silver for the men in team gymnastics. The GB team has taken the home team energy and used it.
The US team seems to be underachieving a bit. Our men left some medals in the pool. The ladies were great, though. Boxing is in shambles right now. Once the Chines swimming program gets going, they will walk away with the medal victory every summer Olympics.

Davet

Post Likes
Nice try at a wind up, but Jess Ennis was born in Sheffield - which for the avoidance of doubt is several thousand miles from Jamaica. Her accent is cut crystal English - south Yorkshire variety.

Oh - and it was Heptathlon, as in 7 events - rather than Pentathlon.

Andy Murray was always British - specifically Scots.

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
yep - lap it up while you can

That's a shame, menace. Both Olympics recently hosted in Canada (Calgary, 1988 and Vancouver, 2010) were great successes, and the facilities have been used to produce a generation or two of excellent athletes - not to mention their use by us regular folk to try our hands at a new sport, or just to keep active.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Not trying a wind up at all. Her dad is Jamaican. She has a Jamaican face.