how can there ever be a clash of colours these days?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have seen pics this season and last (one side with there shirts inside out) and also noticed a comment in a report posted in another thread about "clashes of colours" :shrug:

How can this happen with the 'tinternet, don't people look at what colours sides are going to wear?? Surely you need to know for you own kit or do you just go with the "I'll pack 3, one will be ok!"

I always make a point of looking at up to date pics of clubs as colours do change, to ensure there's no clash, if there is, when a club calls to confirm their fixture I make sure they tell the opponents to change their shirts.

And before anyone says, down here in the SW it's the away team that changes!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I always pack three shirts -- doesn't everyone? My shirts just live in my kit bag.

I do look at the club colours but it's not uncommon for any particular team to be wearing different kit from the website - especially if they are a 2nd XV (Or recently went on tour!)

I have twice brought up a potential clash when the club calls me. Both times the answer was 'No, don't worry, we've played them loads of times it will be OK. Anyway if it's really a problem on the day we'll sort it out - turn our shirts inside out. Or they will - don't worry" So there wasn't much point.

Last edited:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
I always pack three shirts -- doesn't everyone? My shirts just live in my kit bag.

I do look at the club colours but it's not uncommon for any particular team to be wearing different kit from the website - especially if they are a 2nd XV (Or recently went on tour!)

I have twice brought up a potential clash when the club calls me. Both times the answer was 'No, don't worry, we've played them loads of times it will be OK. Anyway if it's really a problem on the day we'll sort it out - turn our shirts inside out. Or they will - don't worry" So there wasn't much point.

Sounds like someone will be in the bin after the 3rd penalty then for repeated infringements... :sarc:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
true, it's no ideal.
so far it's not happened. I had one game this season with was tow variations of blue/red -- we just lived with it. They looked a bit similar from the front, more different from the back, it wasn't too bad.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
"White no hands!" Ping

"white no hands!" Ping

"white no hands!" Ping and "see ya!"

"What me?????"

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The whys and wherefores are myriad, but the fact is that from time to time mix-ups occur. The standard of organisation at low levels tends to match the standard of play.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I always ask the fixture confirmer to "ensure no colour clash" & " refer back to me if any doubt exists" the onus is then on home side to sort.

Next saturdays white & blue horizontals v blue & white horizontals have already been flagged up, but I could still do with some washoffable black paint to spray the blue socks of one team !

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
I have seen pics this season and last (one side with there shirts inside out) and also noticed a comment in a report posted in another thread about "clashes of colours" :shrug:

How can this happen with the 'tinternet, don't people look at what colours sides are going to wear?? Surely you need to know for you own kit or do you just go with the "I'll pack 3, one will be ok!"

I always make a point of looking at up to date pics of clubs as colours do change, to ensure there's no clash, if there is, when a club calls to confirm their fixture I make sure they tell the opponents to change their shirts.

And before anyone says, down here in the SW it's the away team that changes!

In my case (from the report), both Home and Away play in Black and White.

I had Yellow, Orange and Green kits with me.

Home's second choice kit was Green... so that's a kit I haven't worn yet! (I'm not wearing my new blue one as it makes me look fatter than I am)

I asked the home side to change because our league regulations quite rightly ask the home side to change in the case of a clash.

Home sides should change as to be honest it is easier to manage, and doesn't rely on away sides too much.

Forgetting to change at home is easier than away.

Last edited:

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
The whys and wherefores are myriad, but the fact is that from time to time mix-ups occur. The standard of organisation at low levels tends to match the standard of play.

Or is it the other way around? :biggrin:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

No always OB..

When I was refereeing in Canterbury, the referee's kit was a white long-sleeved jersey with CRFU logo on the breast, and white shorts. The only team that clashed with that was HSOB (High School Old Boys). They were affiliated with Christchurch Boys High School (who played under the banner of HSOB) and their XV's wore Blue And Black hoops. As you progressed up the refereeing ranks, you you became more and more likely to encounter a team wearing white. For this reason, those HSOB teams used to carry a range of liquorice allsorts practice jerseys of different sizes for the referee's use in case he forgot to bring a change strip.

Last edited:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You all seem to take colour clashes way too seriously. I had to referee these two sides last year and had no issue calling them blue and black, just go in with a plan and stick to it.

1094656_553274151388687_1794972299_o.jpg

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Worst I've ever had was last month, when two area uni sides who wore a mish-mash of UWR. Patterns were different, but it was still a mess.

I usually pack my RR.com kit, along with black shorts/socks and green, sky blue, and red tops.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
You all seem to take colour clashes way too seriously. I had to referee these two sides last year and had no issue calling them blue and black, just go in with a plan and stick to it.

1094656_553274151388687_1794972299_o.jpg

No colour clash problems with those two sets of shirts, shorts, & socks.

But the referee In white boots and his socks round his ankles .................

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No colour clash problems with those two sets of shirts, shorts, & socks.

But the referee In white boots and his socks round his ankles .................

What? Are you colour blind Simon?

That referee (Drift?) is wearing black boots and has his socks up. The player behind him has white boots and socks down!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'm guessing it was early and looking on his phone, give the old boy a break :wink:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I'm guessing it was early and looking on his phone, give the old boy a break :wink:

I'm guessing the Valet does all of Simon's posts!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
What? Are you colour blind Simon?

That referee (Drift?) is wearing black boots and has his socks up. The player behind him has white boots and socks down!

And thus some of his assessments are now explained .... :)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Ian - not blind but I was on my smartphone on commute train (small cropped picture) but now looking on laptop at full photo which shows all of the ref - all I saw on phone was a leg and shoulder.

I can see now that it is the player who has the white boots and low hung socks - profuse apologies to the referee who is the very model image of a smart referee exuding the corporate image that a match official should.

BFG you can s*d off, I was up well before dawn and in the paddocks today so wide awake by the time I got the commute train.
Phil - no valet, I would have to pay minimum wage.
Browner - nothing wrong my observation reports and coaching advice - only a false rumour :biggrin:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ian - not blind but I was on my smartphone on commute train (small cropped picture) but now looking on laptop at full photo which shows all of the ref - all I saw on phone was a leg and shoulder.

Ah. I see you have an iPhone then :pepper:

I can see now that it is the player who has the white boots and low hung socks - profuse apologies to the referee who is the very model image of a smart referee exuding the corporate image that a match official should.

Oooh, can he have a valet too!!?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
profuse apologies to the referee who is the very model image of a smart referee exuding the corporate image that a match official should.

I wouldn't go that far...