[Ruck] New Ruck Law

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
well one tactic that springs to mind is "going to ground to gather the ball". ie slide in to play the ball, which probably means the ball is grabbed before any contact is made. Do it "correctly" with enough momentum you'll also knock the standing opponent off his feet. Maybe even get him to fall forwards over the ball. Win PK for off the feet/"over the top".

Hmmm. I just invented that on the spot.

Winner.

Didds

Ok...other than that....but then they are diving to ground in the tackle zone! :nono::nono::nono:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It doesn't really matter how often it happens. The question is "what happens when it does".

didds

well, I would try and ref it as per the guideline in #11 - which is the exactly what we were told around the start of the season.

But I don't see this situation very often. Oddly enough in my last game I actually penalized someone for being offside after a tackle, and after the PK had been kicked to touch the captain approached me and asked to explain, because he said, no ruck had formed.

I said - correct but they had one player over the ball, so offside lines had formed - it's that new Law this season
- New Law? he said
- Yes - I said, after that England Italy no-ruck thing, they changed the Law, remember
- Oh... yes... that's right!, got it, thanks

As I said I don't think this Law made much impact in the grass roots game

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
well one tactic that springs to mind is "going to ground to gather the ball". ie slide in to play the ball, which probably means the ball is grabbed before any contact is made. Do it "correctly" with enough momentum you'll also knock the standing opponent off his feet. Maybe even get him to fall forwards over the ball. Win PK for off the feet/"over the top".

Hmmm. I just invented that on the spot.

You don't think you'd get pinged for going to ground at the tackle?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is there an echo in here???:biggrin::biggrin:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I confess the p;icture in my head was the tackled player and tackler had rolled away...

if the tackled player was still there it wouldn't work anyway :)

Ok - back to the question raised a few miknutes ago... how does a jackler jackal now? As in likelihood he forms a ruck before he can get his hands on?

didds

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Key skills for referees: law knowledge, fitness, management skills, touch-typing >60wpm :D

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ruck

[LAWS]Ruck: A phase of play where one or more players from each team, who are on their feet and in physical contact, close around the ball, which is on the ground.[/LAWS]

I think that if Red is standing over the ball and Blue uses both hands to grab the ball, then blue wasn't closing around the ball, and no ruck was formed.

If blue grabs the ball, then if red player then grabs the blue jackler he's just grabbing a ball carrier, which if he continues to hold on will lead to a tackle or a maul, depending on what happens next.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Crossref, the guidance notes for the Amended Ruck, Law Trial suggest you can't pick it up.

World Rugby Global Law Trials (GLTs)

[LAWS]Law 16: Amended Ruck Law
A ruck commences when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground (tackled player, tackler). At this point the offside line is created. A player on their feet may use their hands to pick up the ball as long as this is immediate. As soon as an opposition player arrives no hands can be used.[/LAWS]

Guidance Notes:
The “one man” ruck only applies after a tackle and that normal ruck law applies to all other situations e.g. player voluntarily going to ground, ball on ground in open play etc. The offside line is formed when a player from either team arrive over the ball.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
hmmm - so that's sort of in conflict with the quidance in #11.

but doesn't the WR guidance mean that as soon as an opposition player arrives and forms a ruck, no hands can be used.

We should have GMG in England that cover this sort of stuff

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
hmmm - so that's sort of in conflict with the quidance in #11.

The guidance I quoted was sent out by the RFU so I would suggest all RFU Referees follow this.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Indeed, but I feel sure we also had cascaded something along the lines of #11

But perhaps I am misremembering

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Welcome to the forum, diegux. You may have noticed that the conversation wanders a bit so let's return to your original post:

Hello, according to the new ruck law... after a tackle, if the tackler gets on their feet (of course from his side too) and then stands over the ball... is a ruck formed ?... or the ruck will be formed always by a 3rd arriving player ?

After a tackle the tackler must release and clear the area (roll away) and he can no longer attempt to play the ball from his side of the tackle. He may come around to his side of the ball to make a play for the ball. At this point he is just an 'arriving player'. If he simply stands over the ball then he has formed a ruck and offside lines apply. In this forum we refer to this as a "monoruck".

In the usual run of things this isn't the end of the story and things can get a bit complicated.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Indeed, but I feel sure we also had cascaded something along the lines of #11

But perhaps I am misremembering

If that is the case I don't have any record of it in my 2017 law trials folder.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Welcome to the forum, diegux. You may have noticed that the conversation wanders a bit so let's return to your original post:

After a tackle the tackler must release and clear the area (roll away) and he can no longer attempt to play the ball from his side of the tackle. He may come around to his side of the ball to make a play for the ball. At this point he is just an 'arriving player'. If he simply stands over the ball then he has formed a ruck and offside lines apply. In this forum we refer to this as a "monoruck".

In the usual run of things this isn't the end of the story and things can get a bit complicated.

Is the bit in bold a typo?
His side of the tackle is the only place he can play from?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I took that to mean "where he is lying after the tackle " and assuming he was oppo side of the ball.

didds

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yes and yes, Phil E and didds. I meant that doesn't have the old tackler's privilege of going for the ball from the ops side.

diegux

URBA - Rugby Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Thank you ChrisR, and thanks all falks too.
This was my first post, I didn´t expect it to be so successful.

Of course the situation where a tackler gets on his feet and forms a monoruck does not happen very often, in that case I would say that the tackler will try to pick up the ball (on his feet and side, of course) instead of forming a monoruck.

Diego.

nylluma

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Crossref, the guidance notes for the Amended Ruck, Law Trial suggest you can't pick it up.

World Rugby Global Law Trials (GLTs)

[LAWS]Law 16: Amended Ruck Law
A ruck commences when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground (tackled player, tackler). At this point the offside line is created. A player on their feet may use their hands to pick up the ball as long as this is immediate. As soon as an opposition player arrives no hands can be used.[/LAWS]

Guidance Notes:
The “one man” ruck only applies after a tackle and that normal ruck law applies to all other situations e.g. player voluntarily going to ground, ball on ground in open play etc. The offside line is formed when a player from either team arrive over the ball.

Does this new law prohibit jackaling after opponent arrives?
What I mean is: Let's suppose that a strong player like Pocock(blue) is a tackle assist, he released the tackled player(red) and pulled the ball, but the tackler didn't let go of it. While they were both pulling, red player came to clean out the ruck but was unsuccessful.

Before the new GLT, Pocock could handle the ball since he is on his feet and held the ball before the ruck is formed. Does the new GLT require Pocock to release it?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Does this new law prohibit jackaling after opponent arrives?
What I mean is: Let's suppose that a strong player like Pocock(blue) is a tackle assist, he released the tackled player(red) and pulled the ball, but the tackler didn't let go of it. While they were both pulling, red player came to clean out the ruck but was unsuccessful.

Before the new GLT, Pocock could handle the ball since he is on his feet and held the ball before the ruck is formed. Does the new GLT require Pocock to release it?

No.......