Nigel in action

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I always thought that the best match report for a ref is the one where they don't mention you.

However : France v South Africa , here is five minutes of NO "highlights" ...

I don't think it's good refereeing to put your arm around a player. For me that's a simple power play.

No doubt everyone will round on me, telling me that NO gets away with it.

Any way here it is enjoy

https://rugbyonslaught.com/video-ma...reffed-the-out-of-france-versus-south-africa/

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
You're right, I will round on you.

What is your problem with NO, exactly? He doesn't do things your way, I get it, but this is bordering on pathetic stalking.

How is it an abuse of power? He isn't telling anyone to do anything, he's explaining decision making rationale empathetically. Would I do it? Not sure - not really my style. But it is his.

He's a celebrity. People are going to pay attention to him. He's a powerful advocate for mental health issues, and tolerance. He's also at the forefront of the core value of respect. Nothing I've seen him do breaks that code.

I don't know why you don't like it, but you're rapidly getting to the point of Chopperdom on this. I don't think he's the best technical referee in the world, but I like the fact that he tries to demonstrate empathy and manage situations instead of being an automaton.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well rounded on!
I am not stalking him.. I am noticing him because I find a five minute highlight reel in my news feed

Putting your arm around a player when you admonish him isn't matter of style .. it's another example of a parent / child interaction and unequivocally a wrong thing to do. It hardly needs explaining

He is a great ref, but sometime in the last few years he jumped the shark.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Wow...NO must be hitting the night clubs ..the bags under his eyes are huge!

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Were any of the highlights of him making a howler of a decision?

I get your point about not mentioning the ref, but that's usually because they only mention the ref if they think he's been poor, and spectators go to games specifically to see him (he did a low level Welsh club game a few years ago and the crowd was about five times bigger than any other they had that season.)

As for putting an arm around a player, or telling them to apologise; the fact is that he does get away with it, and that's in no small part due to the respect he commands.

Yes, he's potentially setting himself up for a fall, but I'm not going to complain until he does.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I half watched this, most of it was just normal 'ref stuff' and a semi interesting incident with the clock (it didn't stop so 30 seconds was missing), and a few challenges we don't have in communicating to non English speaking players, unless I missed something of no real relevance other than to his fans, I don't think he was the talking point in any of them.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes mostly straightforward.
But in the middle was yet another thing that I don't suppose has ever happened on a rugby field before ? The ref putting his arm around a players shoulders while he talks to him ...

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not something I would do, but I can't speak for the level of relationship NO has with him, clearly he was comfortable with that approach, hopefully the player was too, if that's the case then ok, everyone that counts is comfortable with it, but not something I would try or encourage.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think we can assume that rugby players would prefer to not have the refs arm around their shoulder ?

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I don't think its a clever idea.

Would you refs think it acceptable for a player to come over and put their arm around you?

I speak generically, not specifically of NO. I think we've done NO's relationship with players to death

didds

andrewR

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I don't think he's the best technical referee in the world

Which raises the (admittedly a bit off-topic) question: who is? And who is the best from an overall game/player management stand-point, if that's different?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
:biggrin: but seriously : who do you think is top dog at the moment ?

The two biggest games of the Autumn Internationals are
England v NZ - Garces
Ireland v NZ - Barnes

It must be one of those two (unless it's Ben O Keefe)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Of those I have seen recently - bear in mind limited tv over here - I like the two French refs, and Barnes. Gardner is going to be good.

I thought the best I saw, for however short a career he had at the top, was Vinnie Munro. Technically solid, but the best I've seen at management in 20+ years of watching referees.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
:biggrin: but seriously : who do you think is top dog at the moment ?

The two biggest games of the Autumn Internationals are
England v NZ - Garces
Ireland v NZ - Barnes

It must be one of those two (unless it's Ben O Keefe)

It's one of them, for my money.

I reckon you've got Garces, Barnes and Owens fighting for the top spot, then the likes of Poite, Gardiner (though losing his bottle two weeks ago didn't help him), O'Keefe and Peyper behind them - but all quite a long way behind.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... I thought the best I saw, for however short a career he had at the top, was Vinnie Munro. Technically solid, but the best I've seen at management in 20+ years of watching referees.
Hell, Munro was good. :clap:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's one of them, for my money.

I reckon you've got Garces, Barnes and Owens fighting for the top spot, then the likes of Poite, Gardiner (though losing his bottle two weeks ago didn't help him), O'Keefe and Peyper behind them - but all quite a long way behind.

I agree that in the eye of WR they are top three
I don't think Owens will get two in a row though, I think it's between Barnes and Garces. Sadly for Barnes England will be playing .. so Garces will get it

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I thought I read Barnes was stepping down from the International panel after Japan so he can spend more time on his career.
If so I can see WR giving him the final should England slip up.