[Law] touch after pk

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
QQ when was the Law changed so that you could kick a PK to touch, and keep the throw in ?
Feels like ten years ago ??

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I don't think you really need to ask that question here...

Is this 'going somewhere '?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
No, it's a real question. My law books only go back to 2015 and it was the case then

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
QQ when was the Law changed so that you could kick a PK to touch, and keep the throw in ?
Feels like ten years ago ??
Much longer than 10 years ago. I retired from playing 15 years ago and it was a well established law then. Could it not have been in the 1993 changes?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
1992 I believe. Pretty confident it was immediately after the 1991 RWC.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
it wasn't a change that I welcomed. I didn't/don't think that a team that deliberately puts the ball out of play should be rewarded for that.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
it wasn't a change that I welcomed. I didn't/don't think that a team that deliberately puts the ball out of play should be rewarded for that.

interesting point. Maybe penalties are changed then to be either a kick at goal or a 10m advancement.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I reffed a match in early 2017 where both teams and one of the coaches were convinced that the LO was for the offending side because the PK had bounced before going into touch. I thought I was going mental for a moment. "Well, let's just play it my way and we'll check the law book after the match."

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

It's definitely an oddity of rugby that a team awarded a PK .... kicks the ball off the field.

When you sit and think about it, it's very strange - I can't think of any other sport with something similar - but we take it for granted.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks - wow, that long

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It's definitely an oddity of rugby that a team awarded a PK .... kicks the ball off the field.

When you sit and think about it, it's very strange - I can't think of any other sport with something similar - but we take it for granted.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks - wow, that long
But it punishes the offending team with a potentially significant loss of territory as well as the loss of the ball. It is not so much about rewarding a team that kicks the ball out as punishing a team that has offended.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes, but my point is that the game is structured oddly, so that on many circumstances the best thing for a team to do is kick the ball off the pitch

Is there any other game where teams do that ?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Yes, but my point is that the game is structured uniquely, so that on many circumstances the best thing for a team to do is kick the ball off the pitch

FTFY!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Well , yes, as I said it's so ingrained in rugby folk that we no longer perceive how odd it is.

Perhaps as the focus on ball-in-play time grows, we'll start to become more aware of the anomaly

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It does seem counterintuitive but no more so than a game in which senior coaches think their best chance of winning is by having less possession. I suspect the change was brought about because having legalised lifting in the line out towards the end of the 80's, winning your own throw became much more likely. Awarding a penalty which was then kicked for ground almost always resulted in the loss of possesion to the offending side and so deliberate infringing, particularly if reasonably distant from your own goal-line, became more desirable.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Yes, but my point is that the game is structured oddly, so that on many circumstances the best thing for a team to do is kick the ball off the pitch

Id suggest that at times for defensive reset reasons this still happens in football and hockey (not that ive played hocley for decades!)

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It does seem counterintuitive but no more so than a game in which senior coaches think their best chance of winning is by having less possession.

agreed - also an odd part of our game,

So we have found ourselves in a position where we have constructed a game where very often the winning strategy is often to kick the ball off the field, or to contrive to lose posession ... and then we wonder why it's often boring to watch (and no doubt to play)

Indeed I remember Joe Marler shouting at the oppo : "you're boring me!" .. Reminded me og Sid Viscious in the last few appearances for the Sex Pistols standing on the stage bellowing 'It's no fun'

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1

I always thought it was odd in American/Gridiron Football that you are allowed and sometimes encouraged to run out of bounds and retain possession of the ball. Though, if you kick the ball out of bounds you lose possession.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I don't think it's odd at all.

These days the team throwing the ball in wins about 80-90% of the time. If a team has offended the other team should have the option of moving upfield and getting the ball back.

Rugby League has the same rule about kicks from a PK for the same reason.