Wal v Aus: Coach Verbally Attacks Officials

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Looks like the Aussie coach might be facing a ban?

... Dave Rennie, the Australia head coach, tearing into referee Mike Adamson and his officials.

"I thought some of the decision-making by the officials tonight was horrendous and played a big part in the result," Rennie raged, referring to Nick Tompkins' second-half try. Tompkins initially appeared to knock on intercepting a pass, only for Adamson to rule that the ball had dropped backwards, with Tompkins racing away to score. Kurtley Beale, the Australia full-back, had been yellow carded for a deliberate knock-on earlier, leading to Rennie's outburst.

Rennie continued: "It clearly goes forward and they get seven points out of us. In 20 years I've never had a crack at a ref - but I feel I had to tonight. We'll end up getting an apology next week, but it won't help the result."

Wales head coach Wayne Pivac responded to Rennie's claim regarding Tompkins' try by saying: "It just goes to show that you can’t switch off and stop. You’ve got to play to the whistle. You tell that to five-year-olds. We were pleased with Nick’s efforts there.

"I don’t think it’s a knock-on personally, nor did the referee, the TMO, the touch judges or anyone in our coaching box. We were obviously quite pleased with that call."

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What’s stupid here is the two incidents he is referring to were both correctly refereed. The ball clearly went backwards from Tompkins, and Beale went for the ball, evidenced by the unnatural arm angle for his tackle.

If you’re going to publically criticise a referee at least be right.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Looks like the Aussie coach might be facing a ban?

I think the difference between a post game interview blow up and a calculated preparation of a video, deliberately leaked after an attempt to coerce (or blackmail) the MO with the leak might see Rennie with a few less $ in his pocket while Erasmus is confined to the naughty chair.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
The coach must have a reason for printing this, but I don't get it. Imagine you were the coach, you saw the replays, you know that a team of four have seen them too, analysed them and then come to a decision which is hard to argue against. Why would you then complain? Is it a job-saving post released to your disappointed supporters / bosses? Was it just a fit of pique? I'm struggling to understand how he will garner support to rubbish two decisions which have been so forensically dissected.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
How does someone calculate unnatural arm angle on the spot? Perhaps refer to the treatment of renowned a Sri Lankan bowler.

That aside if you see Beale's head and eyes he never tracks the ball and he even has his eyes closed as he awaits the tackle. Tompkins knows that and throws out a speculative pass and get the ref to buy it:shrug:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I wonder if the ref will issue a victim impact statement about how he & his family have been traumatised by Rennie's comments

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
How does someone calculate unnatural arm angle on the spot? Perhaps refer to the treatment of renowned a Sri Lankan bowler.

That aside if you see Beale's head and eyes he never tracks the ball and he even has his eyes closed as he awaits the tackle. Tompkins knows that and throws out a speculative pass and get the ref to buy it:shrug:

I disagree and to me it looked like he tracked it all the way.

The unnatural position of the arm was that it was extended too far to have just been for the tackle wrap.

For me YC all day every day.

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I wonder if the ref will issue a victim impact statement about how he & his family have been traumatised by Rennie's comments

Nice try.

Nothing to say about the actual outburst itself?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the welsh try was very odd. I understand the TMO analysis that the ball went backwards -- but I don't understand why the ref didn't blow the whistle when it happened.. see that once on saturday in real time and peep, knock on.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Nice try.

Nothing to say about the actual outburst itself?

I don't have any particular interest in coaches' outbursts. I find the subsequent reactions much more interesting.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the welsh try was very odd. I understand the TMO analysis that the ball went backwards -- but I don't understand why the ref didn't blow the whistle when it happened.. see that once on saturday in real time and peep, knock on.

it was a great piece of refereeing. Maybe forwards, maybe backwards. Play on and we can go back to the TMO at next stoppage.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I felt he refereed most of the game like that...let it go until a AR or TMO points out an infringement.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
it was a great piece of refereeing. Maybe forwards, maybe backwards. Play on and we can go back to the TMO at next stoppage.

I'm with Dickie, it was great refereeing, using the TMO to ensure a flowing game and the right outcome.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I am not so sure. I think it's one of those situations where the best decision is the one that all thirty players are expecting.

It was a bit of a gotcha

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
So we've had 2 opposite examples in the past 2 weekends.

Ire v NZ - ref stops play because everyone stopped expecting a whistle. Scrum restart.

Wal v Aus - everyone except the ball-carrier stops but no whistle - troi time.

Do we have a preference?

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
CR, why's it a gotcha? The ball carrier slowed down, you saw MA waving the play on, the Welsh boy reacted and ran in to score. Then it was checked to see if it was a knock on or not by the Ref Team. Always play to the whistle.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So we've had 2 opposite examples in the past 2 weekends.

Ire v NZ - ref stops play because everyone stopped expecting a whistle. Scrum restart.

Wal v Aus - everyone except the ball-carrier stops but no whistle - troi time.

Do we have a preference?

In the Welsh one even the ball carrier stops ! But he is quick thinking and starts again

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
CR, why's it a gotcha? The ball carrier slowed down, you saw MA waving the play on, the Welsh boy reacted and ran in to score. Then it was checked to see if it was a knock on or not by the Ref Team. Always play to the whistle.

Shrug I was reffing I would rather call that a knock on (and potentially find out it went 2cm backward, my bad) rather than have that happen

Very early in my reffing "career" a TJ put his flag up when I had a very clear view and it wasn't in touch. I yelled play on, but of course some of the defender stopped , and, of course, a try was scored

Ij a sense I was right but I knew that really I was wrong. I learned a lesson

Yes, you will tell me why this is different, but it reminded me of that

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
CR I'd rather encourage flowing attacking rugby. Rather than blowing when might not be needed. But at grassroots, yeah, we call that as forward as that's what's expected, might not be factually true, but it's what's expected. But at that level you can check it and come back if needed.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes, but we also don't want the ref to be the talking point, and the centre of the game , we would rather be invisible

Knock on would have helped with that. It's the expected decision