Recent content by Novice-Ref

1. N

[Law] Time off for Injury

How long would you stop your watch for a player injury, if the injury lasted for 2 minutes?
  2. N

Law 22 variation

On the irb website for the new law variations, there are a series of videos. The very last one covers a scenario where the ball is kicked to in goal and the defending player touches down whilst his feet are outside the field of play. Can someone confirm the law references that mean the outcome...
  3. N

[Law] Lions tour -lack of yellow cards

Just watching the Hurricanes match and for me there is once again a continual reluctance for referees to a) issue warnings b) issue yellow cards for the escalation of technical penalties. Players are getting wind of this and it is having a negative effect on the game. Agree?
  4. N

[In-goal] Try or Penalty Try?

A winger is just about to score in the corner when the defender comes across with a high tackle but fails to prevent the grounding of the ball. Would you award the try or a penalty try and yellow card?
  5. N

[Law] Wales -Penalty Try or not?

c20m into the Wales v France game, Wales argued they should have a penalty try from a deliberate knock on. Barnes didn't award continually saying he wasn't "certain a try would be scored". I always thought the test was that a try "probably" ie greater than 50% chance the try would be scored. Has...
  6. N

[Tackle] Bath v Gloucester High Tackles

I watched the above game last night and was surprised by the different approach to high Tackles from when the new guidance came into force on 3rd Jan. I wonder if refs have been told to "calm it down" a little
  7. N

Glass Ceiling in Progression beyond Local Society?

I get the distinct impression that those taking up refereeing after their playing days have finished have very little chance of progressing beyond the level 6 of the local society. Has anyone experienced this "ageism"6. Do people think it is fair?
  8. N

"Tackler Release"

I see so many occasions (and I use my words carefully) where a defending player brings the attacker to ground and has hold of the player but remains on his feet. The attacker is 'tackled' and hence governed by law 15. All too often the defender is called to release or roll away etc even though...
  9. N

How Far?

How far would a referee typically run in a game?
  10. N

Passive Scrum -No 8 pick up allowed?

Every time scrums go passive, players ask can the number 8 pick up? Half the time the ref says yes, the other half no. Is there any guidance or ruling that says the No8 can not pick up when passivr scrums have been ordered?
  11. N

Squeeze ball

Regulation 15 Appendix 2 says at U19, as long as the ball is available immediately 'squeeze ball' is allowed. Should I thus say if the game is designated as U19 as opposed to U18, then it is ok? OR Should I enquire, and if any of the players are U18, then squeeze ball should not be allowed?
  12. N

collapsing maul in lineout

Players can't take out a jumper before he lands. As he lands, a maul tends to form almost immediately. Do people think it is possible to 'sack' the catcher before the maul has formed and hence legitimately?
  13. N

Ashton try for Leicester - Forward pass?

I understand the new guidance that the pass needs to be "Clear and Obvious" to be forward and you need to look at the hand/arm action of the passer. I fully applaud the referee for handing it over to the TMO who can assess the situation from many camera angles. I like assessing these as the TMO...
  14. N

Ball out of ruck

Situation is, ball is out of the ruck and the scrum half is slow to use it. Would you 1. Do nothing 2. Signal it is out 3. Say "ball is out" 4. 2 & 3 together Is there an accepted best practice here because I've seen all 4 options used.
  15. N

What is a teammate?

I was pulled up the other week by an assessor who told me that for a penalty, I had allowed a substitute to come on as 'placer' for a kick and it must be someone on the field of play. Having read the law book it says a 'teammate' may act as placer. Surely 'teammate' both morally and by...