What type of restart occurs when the attacking team kicks the ball out the back of the defending teams in-goal?

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
All relevant answers to the OP.

I would love to see a situation where an attacker would kick the ball dead from inside the in-goal area. A contender for D**k of the day I would imagine.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Depends entirely on who brought the ball in-goal, and (excepting a knock-on) doesn't matter how the attacker makes the ball dead.

Attackers bring it in - 22DO
Defenders bring it in - 5m attacking scrum

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Depends entirely on who brought the ball in-goal, and (excepting a knock-on) doesn't matter how the attacker makes the ball dead.

Attackers bring it in - 22DO
Defenders bring it in - 5m attacking scrum
Attack in - 22 or scrum option.
Option: 22 Drop out or scrum where ball was kicked.

Law 21.11:

If a team kicks the ball through their opponents’ in-goal from the field of play into touch-in-goal or on or over the dead-ball line, the defending team can choose:

1. To have a drop-out anywhere on or behind the 22-metre line; or
  2. To have a scrum at the place where the ball was kicked.
Exception: An unsuccessful kick at goal or attempted dropped goal. In these cases, the defending team restarts with a 22-metre drop-out.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
All relevant answers to the OP.

I would love to see a situation where an attacker would kick the ball dead from inside the in-goal area. A contender for D**k of the day I would imagine.
DotD if deliberate. I’d have sympathy if attacker is putting pressure on a defender (a bit like the Howley try after Poitrenaud tried to shepherd the ball into goal) but the defender spills the ball and the attacker accidentally catches it with a boot.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
accidentally catches it with a boot isnt really a "kick" though ... its just connection with an attackers body that happens to be a foot.

i appreciate this isn't a "legal" definition of course.
I'm struggling to think of any scenario whereby an attacker would wilfully kick a ball that was in goal. Well, aside from esoteric suggestions involving bookmakers! (actually I can think of one but thats so esoteric as to me meaningless, regarding trying to get the ball closer to the posts to score but no time to pick the ball up or some=such!)

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
DotD if deliberate. I’d have sympathy if attacker is putting pressure on a defender (a bit like the Howley try after Poitrenaud tried to shepherd the ball into goal) but the defender spills the ball and the attacker accidentally catches it with a boot.
You’re too kind.

DotD if accidental too in my book 😁

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
accidentally catches it with a boot isnt really a "kick" though ... its just connection with an attackers body that happens to be a foot.

i appreciate this isn't a "legal" definition of course.
I'm struggling to think of any scenario whereby an attacker would wilfully kick a ball that was in goal. Well, aside from esoteric suggestions involving bookmakers! (actually I can think of one but thats so esoteric as to me meaningless, regarding trying to get the ball closer to the posts to score but no time to pick the ball up or some=such!)
I guess an attacker might somehow end up using his foot to try and prevent a loose ball from going out .. and failing

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I guess an attacker might somehow end up using his foot to try and prevent a loose ball from going out .. and failing
yeah... but why wouldn't you just dive on it and score - just as likely to get a hand/chest/arm to it as a leg/foot ?
but I do appreciate you trying and its all esoterics anyway!

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Clock is expired in a close score match, you're already ahead, and you can more quickly make the ball dead off your foot to end the game rather than trying to jump on it when there's already a nearby defender about to snatch it off the ground. A very specific set of circumstances I suppose.

Dave Elliott

Administrator
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Your average supporter, player, club coach and match official just wants the information easily accessible in the law ‘book’ and not have to search the web or read the whole set if laws to get the answer to a scenario. Why can’t WR simply produce their own chart in the in-goal section of the laws. They have charts elsewhere. I think to some extent more charts with scenarios outlined would actually simplify things and actually cut down on the amount of words used.
defo worth passing to Keith Lewis. He is in charge now of rewriting the laws

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Clock is expired in a close score match, you're already ahead, and you can more quickly make the ball dead off your foot to end the game rather than trying to jump on it when there's already a nearby defender about to snatch it off the ground. A very specific set of circumstances I suppose.
and you REALLY wouldn't just fall on it and score?

Don't buy that - sorry :)

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
and you REALLY wouldn't just fall on it and score?

Don't buy that - sorry :)

You've never been in or seen a situation where the quickest way to keep the ball away from the other team was to kick it? Particularly if you weren't exactly near where the ball on the ground is, and the other team's player is much closer, and you were already running in that direction? I have panic kicked the ball as the quickest move to keep the other team from getting it before, heh.

It would certainly be a rare case to see in the in goal though, for sure.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i can imagine a situation where ball is coming fast toward you, close to the ground, and the instinctive reaction is to try and control it with your foot.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
defo worth passing to Keith Lewis. He is in charge now of rewriting the laws
I know Keith has a lot on his plate. Hopefully he continues to read these threads even if he doesn’t contribute. He has explained to me how difficult it is to tweak even the simplest of change. He is nominally in charge but the final say is not his unfortunately.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I know Keith has a lot on his plate. Hopefully he continues to read these threads even if he doesn’t contribute. He has explained to me how difficult it is to tweak even the simplest of change. He is nominally in charge but the final say is not his unfortunately.
the impression I get is that there are too many obstacles/check in changing a Law, but too few obstacles and checks on issuing 'clarifications' (hence why they sometimes read like muddifications)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
if im in goal, near enough to a loose ball that I can get a foot to, I can fall on it and score.

If maybe I was 7 feet tall with 5 feet legs though...

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
if im in goal, near enough to a loose ball that I can get a foot to, I can fall on it and score.
Not if an opposing player is already closer to it on the ground, for example. That player could potentially ground it faster than you'd be able to (given that you're not on the ground already). But you may be able to beat him with your foot (at some risk of a dangerous play too though).

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Not if an opposing player is already closer to it on the ground, for example. That player could potentially ground it faster than you'd be able to (given that you're not on the ground already). But you may be able to beat him with your foot (at some risk of a dangerous play too though).
yellow card