Search results

1. L

The 2017 British & Irish Lions Tour

I'm still seeing side entry clean outs on oppos legs from the ABs (maybe this is common in the SH ?) eg. 78:23 on the clock a good example. Stopped the turnover and ignored completely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92e_okRD2dg Entry: Exit: Right under JGs nose. Mark
  2. L

[Law] Ball on ground, collect and roll twice before passing

In the GB vs RSA semi-final in 7s at the Olympics, the ball came out the side of a ruck and was then kicked away sideways. At this point an RSA player fell onto the ball to collect it and rolled forward twice before starting to get on his feet before passing it. According to the laws the player...
  3. L

Wayne Barnes on "Rugby Tonight" 1st June

For those in the UK, it is the last one of the season and they've got WB on tonight. Could be fun. BT Sport 2 8pm. Cheers, Mark
  4. L

Dan Coles 5s error

Here is a pic:
  5. L

Sco v Wal blocking run

When a video become available I'll try and post a link, its at 33mins in first half. In the Scotland Wales game today, red 13 ran a line obstructing the blue 13 from tackling the ball carrier (red 11) as they ran down the wing. 10.1(c) seemed to apply; the runner clearly ran a line to block...
  6. L

Drowning out lineout call

In a game today the home side TH prop kept shouting 'its our ball, make it our ball' really loudly at the lineout when the oppo was calling the throw. It seems ok in law, but I thought it was pretty low and not in the spirit of the game. I didn't ping it, but it got pretty irritating .. which I...
  7. L

Infringements with no signal?

Hi, Wondered what signals you give for infringements that don't have an 'official' signal: 1. deliberately slapping the ball out of play 2. 2nd movement when held by tackled player 3. putting ball in before Y9 4. squeezeball in youth rugby I know there are many others I've dithered over...
  8. L

Overpronator's Boots?

Hi, Anyone recommend boots that give good support for over pronators? I've found the Adidas TRX have none and are lethal for my ankles. Thx, Mark
  9. L

Dumb Question: Number 8 bind with one or two arms?

I was reading the laws to check on the No.8 bind in the scrum I noticed it isn't explicitly listed like the flankers etc. It DOES say; - 20.3 (f) Binding by all other players. All players in a scrum, other than front-row players, must bind on a lock’s body with at least one arm prior to the...
  10. L

RFU Advice "let the game flow"

Camberley B Festival Today at refs briefing all agreed to let it flow, keep it safe and let transgressions pass as 'they're B teams and probably don't know the laws anyway". I found myself conflicted - agreeing with the safety elements obviously, but struggling with what happened during the...
  11. L

New ref - not getting enough games

My club is a village club and whilst we have a good junior setup the seniors are pretty much just the 1st XV these days. The colts just recently stopped and their squad has merged into the 1sts and a scratch side of vets/2nds/colts. I'm just not getting enough games. This weekend I reffed the...
  12. L

Off feet / Going to ground

Reffed my 4th match on Sunday and was weird as had a much much clearer view of what the tackle / ruck should look like after the discussion here. No more dithering. However, I found myself a tad confused on a couple of occasions. First occasion, no 10 kicked a grubber through and it bounced...
  13. L

Blow for touch? when?

I've noticed all referees will whistle for touch when play needs to be stopped; e.g. a maul goes over, a winger puts his foot on the line in full flight. But I've also noticed that some don't blow when the ball goes in from a kick, and will wait a few moments for, I assume, the quick throw...
  14. L

In front of kicker and materiality

At a restart this weekend I noticed a player 2m ahead as the ball was kicked. But then the kick went low and deep into the oppos 22. So that 2m made little difference to the player being able to challenge for the ball. I couldn't make out his number so couldn't shout to keep back. At the time I...
  15. L

"The Gate" definition in law

Hello, I am a newbie referee and have now notched up a grand total of 3 matches; u15, colts and 2nd XV matches. I have been terrible at the tackle and ruck. Dithering and no clear idea of what I want to see. So, I had some questions about the gate, but couldn't find answers in the laws. Does...
  16. L

London Welsh vs Saracens

Why did Luke Pearce blow up for time at that last scrum? I assume there was an infringement from LW but I tried and tried but couldn't work it out.
  17. L

Another ref pops his cherry

Just a quick note to share that I reffed my first match today. It was a lopsided affair 125-0 .. finished early :) I am still buzzing. My club ref coordinator assures me I did ok. As a confident person I was quite surprised how 'quiet' I could be, will work on that as priority 1. The other...