[Law] Ball on ground, collect and roll twice before passing

liversedge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
In the GB vs RSA semi-final in 7s at the Olympics, the ball came out the side of a ruck and was then kicked away sideways. At this point an RSA player fell onto the ball to collect it and rolled forward twice before starting to get on his feet before passing it.

According to the laws the player can do one of three things; get up, release or pass. In my mind the player was canny to avoid anyone getting on the ball by rolling, then in the act of getting up passed as he saw a support player coming by.

It wasn't pinged, and I probably would have (for not passing immediately).

Thoughts?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Was there a GB player on his feet and over him as he took the sneaky double roll?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Wait. Did Rasta miss something?

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
My first thoughts were "was it material", but if someone was over him then it sounds like he was and should have been penalised.

I only saw the second half, but (to add some balance to comments about the standard of refereeing) I thought the ref was very good

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Agreed, different Laws but .... It is the same issue. The player on the ground with the ball is acting in a manner not specifically prohibited by law but is not meeting the requirement of law to act immediately.

In the other thread the action, rolling after a tackle, is a coached ploy and needs to be dealt with early as it would otherwise become a common, and in my view undesirable, practice.

In this thread it's a one-off occurrence and I think materiality should be considered.