Search results

1. D

Steward RC

I don’t think it should have been a RC either, and this incident does indeed make a good example of the case for a two-tier sanction system, but I am not buying the argument about Steward acting on “instinct” and having no choice over his action. Assuming he knew, and from his position it seems...
  2. D

Tackling in the air or dangerous play?

Agreed, same nonsense all over again. And the Sinckler Lions penalty was also nonsense. Firstly, he didn’t have to jump; in fact he has a habit of jumping slightly to collect a pass. But secondly, if that ruling is correct, then it will be impossible for the defending side to prevent a try from...
  3. D

Reckless Endangerment

Correct, so in any normal understanding of the term, the jumping player is the one creating the dangerous situation, or in layman’s terms, being reckless. But WR, for reasons I think we all understand, but which has the inevitable result of creating situations like these, has turned this normal...
  4. D

foward pass / TMO

Off topic, but from the same match. When I watched Dickie E’s clip of these highlights (on the first page of this thread), the first try (Harry Williams’) seemed very dubious to me. Full disclosure, I am not a ref at all, just an ex-player and fan, so I may well be missing something obvious...
  5. D

[Law] Farrell Late Hit v Italy

I thought Mike Adamson had a very poor match today in England v Italy. Obviously it didn’t make any difference to the result ... but he missed several knock-ons by England (one of which indirectly led to a score), missed illegal clear-outs by both teams, and gave an imaginary knock-on against...
  6. D

Foot on the Line

I am a bit confused by a decision from the NZ/Wales thrid-place match. Obviously it was the correct decision as all officials agreed and TV commentators didn't query it, so I am wondering what I am missing. Wales kicked from outside their 22, and Jordie Barrett went to catch it. He put his foot...
  7. D

Biggar “Tackle” on Vakatawa

Should Dan Biggar’s “tackle” on Vakatawa in the Welsh 22 towards the end of the WC QF today not have been penalised? Basically, Vakatawa ran straight over him, but Biggar stood straight up, made no effort to get low, and no effort to wrap any arms around him. I’m not suggesting it merited any...
  8. D

[Law] Italian Disallowed Try v France

Fan not referee, so forgive me if these are obvious. The law on knock-ons states: The ball is not knocked-on, and play continues, if: A player knocks the ball forward immediately after an opponent has kicked it (charge down). A player rips or knocks the ball from an opponent and the ball...