[Tackle] ‘Through the gate’

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Can someone to point me to what I understand as through the gate in law? I know it as I understand it but failing to find in in law, I only see ‘direction of their goal line’ for tackle combined with possible offside lines, and alongside the hindmost player as an addition for rucks.

Is this it? As the goal line is very wide

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There was quite a change in the wording of this Law from the 2017 to 2018 Law books

[LAWS]2017 15.6.d At a tackle or near to a tackle, other players who play the ball must do so from behind the
ball and from directly behind the tackled player or the tackler closest to those players’ goal
line.[/LAWS]

[LAWS]2018 14.8 Other players must:
c) Arrive at the tackle from the direction of their own goal line before playing the ball.[/LAWS]

You are correct to observe that the 2018 wording is much softer ...

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
There was quite a change in the wording of this Law from the 2017 to 2018 Law books

[LAWS]2017 15.6.d At a tackle or near to a tackle, other players who play the ball must do so from behind the
ball and from directly behind the tackled player or the tackler closest to those players’ goal
line.[/LAWS]

[LAWS]2018 14.8 Other players must:
c) Arrive at the tackle from the direction of their own goal line before playing the ball.[/LAWS]

You are correct to observe that the 2018 wording is much softer ...

Well, the game is getting softer. So referees are suggesting apologies. "I'm sorry I came in from the side"

Yeah, that was what I was reading (trying to determine if any difference in approach to a ruck vs tackle only with offside lines) and it didn’t seem ‘enough’ .

I’ve since found this thread (which didn’t help really!) http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread...-dead!-Long-live-the-Gate!&highlight=The+gate

Shall carry on doing it the old, expected way for now I think

That is best advice available. Try looking up the "gate" in the definitions. It is between gaff and goofy.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Shall carry on doing it the old, expected way for now I think

I think that will be the case for most refs.

But gradually, over time, the proportion of refs who remember the old laws ( or who ever even read the old laws at all) will diminish and I imagine the new Law Book will eventually prevail.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
That’s fine, as long as we get proper guidance / example material to show how it needs to be then that can get filtered down, will then, i’ll mostly be confused ��

WoodyOne

Coach / Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I don't think that there's reason for confusion here. Continue to ref with that picture of the gate in your head. It just isn't spelled out becuase of the 'simplification' of the language for 2018.

If there is an offside line and an instruction to "Arrive at the tackle from the direction of their own goal line before playing the ball" then I don't see a player can legally arrive in any other way than through what we know as the gate.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I guess that takes us round in a circle , as we try and define what we know as the gate, and is it any different from "from the direction of your own goal one " which was the question in the op

WoodyOne

Coach / Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Is this image helpful? Clear offside lines either side of a ruck (or tackle). 5 positions from which a player might join. All of which would be moving from the direction of their own goal line. But E is going to step offside before they reach the ruck. He or she could easily follow the same trajectory as A and be entirely legal. I've drawn the verticals that the gate concept represents. For me this illustrates that once you have defined the offside lines and the the required direction of travel you don't need to go on to describe the gate because any legal joining will have gone through that space anyway.

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 48

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Great diagram . . I like it

But where do the verticals really come from ?

Last edited:

WoodyOne

Coach / Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
They're drawn to illustrate what anyone who talks about The Gate is talking about (in my coaching experience at least). I think we all agree that they aren't defined in Law. My point is that if you visualise them as a ref it creates a helpful picture.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Where is the ball? That's what tends to make the offence material or not. If it is between Blue and Red players, then it is possibly immaterial. If it is behind the front two Blue players, then E is probably very material.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think there are possible arrows that would count as being "from the direction of your own goal line" but not as "from directly behind the tackled player " (the old law )

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
OK, question here. If the "gate" isn't defined in Law, unless a player enters from the side (or the opposition side), how can he/she be penalised. As technically even if he/she enters diagonally, he's still joining from the direction of his own try line.??

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
OK, question here. If the "gate" isn't defined in Law, unless a player enters from the side (or the opposition side), how can he/she be penalised. As technically even if he/she enters diagonally, he's still joining from the direction of his own try line.??

Remember, there is no place for pragmatism when dealing with the status quo.

The "gate" is the status quo. Careful with your challenges of the status quo.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]The thing is, Law 15.6 - A player may join alongside but not in front of the hindmost player.

This suggests that a player can join outside the ruck, level with the Red player on the right (as we look at the diagram). Once bound on can then drive the opponent back to compete for the ball??. The Gate is now wider but again another player can join level to him. Seems that the Gate doesn't exist in law?

[/FONT]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Don't forget

2018 14.8 Other players must:
c) Arrive at the tackle from the direction of their own goal line before playing the ball.