[Law] 12f Intentional knock forward

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Has there ever been an outbreak of heading? Red 12 throws a high pass to Red 13 who heads the ball over the Blue backline and runs forward to collect it and score while (blissfully ignorant) Blues appeal for a knock on!

I have seen it done in a President's XV charity match, when a well-known match commentator at fly half headed my appalling scrum half's pass over a tackler's head and caught it beyond him - some time back in the mists of time last century.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I have seen it done in a President's XV charity match, when a well-known match commentator at fly half headed my appalling scrum half's pass over a tackler's head and caught it beyond him - some time back in the mists of time last century.

Is this to be parsed in the same way as "poor referee's decision"? :biggrin:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I saw it done in a match against Leyhill. It's an open prison that used to run several sports teams, but had difficulty finding enough rugby players. One of their centres was a soccer player so naturally when the pass was too high, he headed it. The (society) referee whistled and then said "I don't know why I did that - it's perfectly legal" and re-started with a scrum.

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
There's an immediate example of a player - Gold 5 - going for the ball with 1 hand, but not intending to knock on!