17.2 (d) Keeping players on their feet

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Because of the conflict that you explained I interpret 17.2(d) to apply to all the other players in the maul. It is a sibling of 17.2(e) - collapsing the maul - with the same sanction.
Agree with chbg - the second sentence in 17.2(d) is intended as an exception - the ball carrier is NOT to be penalised if he goes to ground, as 17.6(g) then comes into play. Unfortunately, the iRB work experience student of the day then butchered it by trying to precis the contents of 17.6(g).

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agree with chbg - the second sentence in 17.2(d) is intended as an exception - the ball carrier is NOT to be penalised if he goes to ground, as 17.6(g) then comes into play. Unfortunately, the iRB work experience student of the day then butchered it by trying to precis the contents of 17.6(g).

I am with Phil, it's a simple determination of who is preventing the ball from becoming available and if it is a wilful action of a frustrated ball carrier then a PK would apply but more often than not the ball has become unplayable.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am with Phil, it's a simple determination of who is preventing the ball from becoming available.
Ah well - if that's the test it's PK against the defending side. If they'd kept their grubby mitts off it, the ball carrier would have had no trouble making it available.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ah well - if that's the test it's PK against the defending side. If they'd kept their grubby mitts off it, the ball carrier would have had no trouble making it available.

As you well know Dixie, one must have one's grey filter properly calibrated. Holding the ball/player up is a valid and legal technique in the middle of a maul and will probably lead to a turnover scrum whereas a singleton hanging onto a suspended ball while on the ground is neither valid nor legal and may lead to a PK.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
After reading this I'm coming down on the side of the fence to scrum it down defending team.

There are just too many little holes in law to justify the penalty. The ball was made immediately available by one team but not the other so I read 17.2 (d) as ambiguous as to it's intent.