1st Offence?

kaypeegee

Referees in England
Post Likes
Scrum - Black put-in.

As Black s/h puts ball-in, Red back-line all encroach past 5m scrum offside line

Scrum doesn't properly finish e.g. collapse, wheel >90 deg, other scrum offence etc (& for U19s scrum pushed >45 deg or pushed > 1.5 m)

Which offence takes precendence?

Does scrum have to be technically "over" for the backs offside to be relevant (materiality!)?

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
personally I would say to manage the not 5m as it was not material to the infringement in the scrum. law uses the word "remain" which I would interpret to mean - they can still get back before the ball is out.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
As Black s/h puts ball-in, Red back-line all encroach past 5m scrum offside line

We were told that without wired-in ARs (which I'm never likely to get), the 5m line is a "nice-to-have".

There are far more important things for the likes of us to care about - if they're 3m back, that's still 3m further back than they used to be 2 years ago so don't worry too much about it.

Scrum doesn't properly finish e.g. collapse, wheel >90 deg, other scrum offence etc (& for U19s scrum pushed >45 deg or pushed > 1.5 m)

Those are far more serious (and material) matters than a few backs playing games.

Deal with the scrum mechanics and have a word with the 10 to let him know you saw what he was doing. If he tries it again after your word, ping him straight away.

If you can, that it. Like I said, there are far more important things than the backs.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
How'd I look at it?

Ball never came out, so the 5m is immaterial. reset the scrum, and make a point of walking to the f/half, and warn him. If he does it again when a scrum needs reset, ping him. Principally for stupidity rather than primacy of offence!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agree with SimonSmith. If the ball failed to come out because of scrummaging issues, nothing the backs could do would affect that outcome. My pre-match chat places responsibility for backs offside with the #10, so shout at him to keeps his players onside until the ball is out. Then reset the scrum.

If the ball failed to emerge because the SH delayed his pass as the offside backs limited his options, then it all started to go wrong after that - PK for offside, at the most advantageous point across the field for the non-offending team.