2 man lineouts

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
When was the last time you saw a 15a side game where a side used a 2 man line ? They seem to have virtually disappeared.

I don't really understand why, because when I was playing we always went to 2 or 3 man line, when we were losing our own line out ball. A good well practiced 2 or 3 man line is almost impossible to defend. It may not be great ball, but at least you win the ball.

I saw a team the other day lose 95% of their ball because the opposition had a great 2 and 4 man jumping partnership. The losing side didn't vary the numbers in the line once. Bonkers.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I probably spend more time working on lineouts than any other unit skill with my forwards. Scrummaging comes next.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I probably spend more time working on lineouts than any other unit skill with my forwards. Scrummaging comes next.

This is the main part of a team's warm up I watch when im having my warm up, like to see if there is any movement or variations they try or if it's just the standard 2nd and 4th man up.

I used to love coaching LO's, but never tried to over complicate them. Sometimes the simpliest LO call/move is to throw it to your 1st pod and catch the thing and recycle it from their, if you think back to any of your own games this season, how hard has this been for some teams!

b3m6g

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hi all!

I recently played in a 7s tournament. At the moment of an opposition lineout, our team placed two men in the lineout (jumper, lifter), whereas the opposition placed three (lifter, jumper, lifter). Following the throw in, which our side won, the ref then blew a free-kick/penalty (quick tap played, so unsure what exactly was given) against my team, due to us not having placed three men/as many men as the attacking team in the lineout.

My understanding was (and this is confirmed by IRB law 19.8 (c)) that the defending team at the lineout could place less players in the lineout than the team with the throw-in, as we did.

Are the rules different for 7s? I have not yet found anything to say that they are.

Cheers in advance for any clarification!

TNT88

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
From what I understand there are no 7s variations at line out time. From what you have told us I would suggest the referee got the law wrong. Sometimes that happens as referees are just volunteers, and you need to adjust for the remainder of the game. There is nothing rude about asking the referee to clarify that ruling before he referees you next time though (after the game).

Sometimes the defending team in 7s forgets to put a hooker in place. Maybe you were free kicked for that? If not, then I can think of no other reason to blow a free kick in that scenario.

b3m6g

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thanks!

I though as much. Glad to know that I am not totally uninformed!
A misunderstanding is probably the case, seeing that I play in Germany, and the game was reffed by a young German chap... Although according to some team mates, this appears not to be an isolated incident/misunderstanding of the rules.

My next thought is, a misunderstanding of what? If there are no variations of the laws for 7s, then the laws clearly state that: a minimum of two players are required (19.8(a)), the attacking team defines the maximum number of players (19.8(b)), and the defending team can place less players than the attacking team in the lineout (19.8(c)). All of which we did. Curious...

I will ask some referees that have reffed 7s in the area, perhaps they have been told to look out for this in particular by the regional rugby commissions, or some such. The only possible reasons I can see are for the safety of the lifter, or that the young ref was following some youth team rules.

Will post back here if anything useful comes up, if only out of curiosity.

Cheers!

Greig

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
b3m6g, don't overcomplicate, the ref just made an error. I made the same error on the weekend, just got confused about who was throwing and who should match numbers. It happens.

Last edited:

Greig

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Lioneouts are a bit of a sad passion for me, coaching in the youth/junior game.
http://rugby-coaching-blog.com/2011/01/24/lineout-training-its-a-crime/
sums it up for me really.

didds

Sadly , it's a passion for me too :smile:. This year I was forwards coach for a B-grade U15s team. We practiced a simple 5 man line-out all season with mixed results. Come finals, it's clicking and we are winning all our line-outs. Last weekend, the boys kicked a penalty into the corner, and mauled over the line for a try. There is no better feeling for a coach than watching the boys celebrate that try.

I have not yet attempted the 2 man line-out, but in my view 30 minutes of practice would make this option unbeatable.

Setup with one player on 5m, and the other at 15m.

If opposition doesn't match numbers, jump at #2, throw, then make noises at the ref for a free kick.
If opposition match numbers, but don't mark up, throw to the unmarked player.
If they mark up, signal to jump at front(#2) or middle (#5), players run to that position and jump.

There are a few more variations, but really this is enough to win every throw.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If they mark up, signal to jump at front(#2) or middle (#5), players run to that position and jump.

Or throw to middle and SH runs into the gap as soon as ball is thrown

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Lioneouts are a bit of a sad passion for me, coaching in the youth/junior game.

http://rugby-coaching-blog.com/2011/01/24/lineout-training-its-a-crime/

sums it up for me really.

didds

Wait a minute, that thrower had his toe on the line! Peeeep!

Seriously, I agree with the sentiments in the blog. Not only is it an opportunity to win possession on their throw it's imperative to not only win your ball but to create a good attacking base from the first phase from the lineout. And that's where short number lineouts are very useful. Never look for a numbers FK. If the ops have too many in the LO then they have too few elsewhere and play to that advantage.

If the ops are a skilled LO team and winning their ball then our focus shifts to defending after they secure the ball to deny them the results they want on their first phase.

Lineouts? Not just a restart!