2016 Amendments not correct in new laws

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The 2016 amendments to Law 8.3 have been included in the 2016 laws:
8.3 When the advantage law is not applied
(d) Player lifted in the air. Advantage must not be applied when a player in a scrum is lifted in the air or forced upwards and has no support on the ground. The referee must blow the whistle immediately.

However, scrum law 20.3 Binding has not been modified. From my current 2016 download:

(h) Scrum collapse. If a scrum collapses, the referee must blow the whistle immediately so that players stop pushing

(i) Player forced upwards. If a player in a scrum is lifted in the air, or is forced upwards out of the scrum, the referee must blow the whistle immediately so that players stop pushing.

What is the proper channel/medium to alert WR to this oversight so that in 20 years from now OB does not have to remind us that the amendments of 2016 changed the advantage law?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Looks correct to me. What am I missing?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think marauder is concerned that the wording is not the same, and there is an immission of support from the ground etc

Didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Looks correct to me. What am I missing?
In the 2015 Laws, 8.3 (d) refers to a collapsed scrum, mirroring 20.3 (h). That sub-paragraph is now missing from Law 8, so there is a mismatch between the two laws. Does the word "immediately" in Law 20 mean advantage does not apply?!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In the 2015 Laws, 8.3 (d) refers to a collapsed scrum, mirroring 20.3 (h). That sub-paragraph is now missing from Law 8, so there is a mismatch between the two laws. Does the word "immediately" in Law 20 mean advantage does not apply?!

That's how I understand it

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
That's how I understand it
The point is that they have explicitly removed the law that says you cannot play advantage when the scrum collapses. This means that the IRB are saying you can play advantage on a scrum collapse. Law 20 suggests that you cannot.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Sorry, OP not that well explained.

here are the changes that should have gone into effect for law 8. Adavantage

Delete: (d) Collapsed scrum. Advantage must not be applied when a scrum collapses. The referee must blow the whistle immediately.
(e) becomes (d)
Amend: Player lifted in the air. Advantage must not be applied when a player in a scrum is lifted in the air or forced upwards and has no support on the ground out of the scrum. The referee must blow the whistle immediately.
(f) becomes (e)

No advantage (immediate whistle) for collapsed scrum should be removed from Law 20.
No advantage (immediate whistle) only if player forced upward has feet off ground. So, advantage can be played if a player just pops out with feet on ground. This change not in Law 20.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Back to my original question. Is there a pathway to WR to point out the error? As Simon knows there is no point in raising the issue here.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Back to my original question. Is there a pathway to WR to point out the error? As Simon knows there is no point in raising the issue here.
Raise it with Laws@rfu.com There is an RFU Laws Committee which can bring it up.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This is the response from Laws:

The RFU has written to world rugby stating it is a serious omission in law 8 to leave out collapsed scrum when advantage should not be played. Northern Hemisphere Referee Societies have been instructed not to make reference to the 2016 Law book until the commencement of next season. There are many 'discrepancies' where clarification is sought.
Regards
Dave Broadwell

So now what?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
we have discussed on this forum two examples of changes which have not been green-highlighted as they should be.
the 2016 LAw book is looking a bit of a shambles!