Level 2
Proposal 1
Try: 6 points
Penalty try: 6 points
Conversion: 2 point
Penalty Goal: 2 points
Dropped Goal: 2 points

Justification
Reward the continuity of the game and the score of tries over Penalty Goals.

Proposal 2
Penalty Try. If a player would probably have scored a try but for foul play by an opponent, a penalty try is awarded. The conversion kick shall not be taken after a penalty try is awarded. Value= 7 points.
FFR happy to tie into UAR proposal thus Penalty Try = 8 points

Justification

Not only does this save time because the conversion is a formality in such situations but it also seems logical for a penalty try to reward the non-offending team with a straight 7 points.

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not only does this save time because the conversion is a formality in such situations but it also seems logical for a penalty try to reward the non-offending team with a straight 7 points.

I can't see why it is logical for a PT to give fewer points than were about to be scored before a player committed foul play. That rewards the foul play. I'd ditch that possible option without bothering to consider it further, and consider instead a 7 pointer with conversion option, or a straight 9-pointer (to save time avoiding the formality of the conversion).

Happy to see how the 6-point try and 2-point penalty goal plays out. I suspect it will further increase the gulf between the hemispheres while reducing the number of points scored in the North.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Increasing the value of the PT is double jeopardy. Awarding the try between the posts and YC/RC for the miscreant is already a punishment.

Make all conversion drop kicks if saving time is an issue.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Increasing the value of the PT is double jeopardy. Awarding the try between the posts and YC/RC for the miscreant is already a punishment.

Make all conversion drop kicks if saving time is an issue.

You don't have to award a YC/RC if you award a PT.

Making all conversion kicks drop kicks would save time, but would make it harder to score from a conversion, particularly out wide. If the scoring system remains 5/2 then I am not sure this would work, but at 6/2 it's a pretty good idea. Works well in 7s and 10s.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Proposal 1
Try: 6 points
Penalty try: 6 points
Conversion: 2 point
Penalty Goal: 2 points
Dropped Goal: 2 points

Justification
Reward the continuity of the game and the score of tries over Penalty Goals.

Proposal 2
Penalty Try. If a player would probably have scored a try but for foul play by an opponent, a penalty try is awarded. The conversion kick shall not be taken after a penalty try is awarded. Value= 7 points.
FFR happy to tie into UAR proposal thus Penalty Try = 8 points

Justification

So a converted try is 8 points and a PT (for which a conversion can't be taken) is 7 points? SMH

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not only does this save time because the conversion is a formality in such situations

1. how often do we se a PT? Once every 20 or 30 games? Not much time saved
2. why not apply this logic to any try scored under the posts? I like this idea - would make a real contest to get under the posts for the try.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
1. how often do we se a PT? Once every 20 or 30 games? Not much time saved
2. why not apply this logic to any try scored under the posts? I like this idea - would make a real contest to get under the posts for the try.

Or, when a team is running down the clock, they could chose to score just outside of the posts. It could be another useful string to the tacticians' bow.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I can't see why it is logical for a PT to give fewer points than were about to be scored before a player committed foul play. That rewards the foul play. I'd ditch that possible option without bothering to consider it further, and consider instead a 7 pointer with conversion option, or a straight 9-pointer (to save time avoiding the formality of the conversion).

Happy to see how the 6-point try and 2-point penalty goal plays out. I suspect it will further increase the gulf between the hemispheres while reducing the number of points scored in the North.

I think the proposals are to be read as two separate outcomes. Either proposal 1 or 2, but not both implemented together. Otherwise, as has been noted, it makes no sense.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
If you want to save time and reduce the number of penalty goals, he not simply adopt the sevens no place kicks variant.

According to the earlier thread, the 6 point try seems to lead to kicking penalties to corners and rolling mauls from the resultant line out looking for the PT from the defenders pulling the maul down five metres from their line.

I believe the Welsh were applying both but with PT being 8 points and the losing bonus point is being within 8.