2018 Law Exam (warning ..Spoilers )

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I got this one wrong. So , re-read the law book. Still dont understand why its wrong ! Any idea ?
The law books says "Except under 10.4 c,....."
offside.png

In general play, when an onside team-mate moves ahead of a retreating player offside under the 10-meter law, that player is put onside. True or False ?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I didn't get that question, and there doesnt seem to be a way to reset and start again

What did it say ? And what Law Ref did it give ?

You just go to the home page where it shows your pass certificate and select re-take exam.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In general play, when an onside team-mate moves ahead of a retreating player offside under the 10-meter law, that player is put onside. True or False ?

True
But the offside (under 10m) player has to be retreating.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
True
But the offside (under 10m) player has to be retreating.

Cheers. Can't find a law reference for that. In fact, the law explicitly states "Other than under Law 10.4c, an offside player can be put onside when: ". Hence my question.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Cheers. Can't find a law reference for that. In fact, the law explicitly states "Other than under Law 10.4c, an offside player can be put onside when: ". Hence my question.

[LAWS]7. A player offside under Law 10.4c cannot be put onside by any action of an opponent,
apart from a charge down.[/LAWS]

He can only be put onside by an onside player from his own team running past him, or him running back behind such a player.

He cant be put onside by the actions of an opponent...unlike a player offside in open play.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
[LAWS]7. A player offside under Law 10.4c cannot be put onside by any action of an opponent,
apart from a charge down.[/LAWS]

He can only be put onside by an onside player from his own team running past him, or him running back behind such a player.

He cant be put onside by the actions of an opponent...unlike a player offside in open play.

Thanks Phil, for your help. However, I;m not asking about action by opponents. I am trying to figure out how he can be put onside by retiring behind a player who is advancing ( and who WAS onside). When you consider the wording of the law, which makes an explicit exception for the 10-metre offside condition.
Apologies as I'm probably not very good at making myself clear.
Here is the wording pasted in :

Other than under Law 10.4c, an offside player can be put onside when:

That player:
Moves behind a team-mate who last played the ball; or
Moves behind a team-mate who is onside.

Do you get my quandry ? And thanks, for helping, anyway :)

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
[LAWS]2017 Laws

11.4 OFFSIDE UNDER THE 10-METRE LAW
(a) When a team-mate of an offside player has kicked ahead, the offside player is considered to be taking part in the game if the player is in front of an imaginary line across the field which is 10 metres from the opponent waiting to play the ball, or from where the ball lands or may land. The offside player must immediately move behind the imaginary 10-metre line or the kicker if this is closer than 10 metres. While moving away, the player must not obstruct an opponent or interfere with play.
Sanction: Penalty kick

(b) While moving away, the offside player cannot be put onside by any action of the opposing team. However, before the player has moved the full 10 metres, the player can be put onside by any onside team-mate who runs in front of the player.
[/LAWS]

[LAWS]2018 Laws

10.4. An offside player may be penalised, if that player:

c. Was in front of a team-mate who kicked the ball and fails to retire immediately to an imaginary line across the field 10 metres on that player’s side from where the ball is caught or lands, even if it hits a goal post or crossbar first. If this involves more than one player, then the player closest to where the ball lands or is caught is the one penalised. This is known as the 10-metre law and still applies if the ball touches or is played by an opponent but not when the kick is charged down.

6. Other than under Law 10.4c, an offside player can be put onside when:
a. That player:
i. Moves behind a team-mate who last played the ball; or
ii. Moves behind a team-mate who is onside.
b. An onside team-mate of that player moves past the offside player and is within or has re-entered the playing area.

7. A player offside under Law 10.4c cannot be put onside by any action of an opponent, apart from a charge down.
[/LAWS]

I understand CTPE's problem. Where the 2017 laws stated it clearly, the 2018 doesn't. So much for shorter but not simpler.

Last edited:

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Just noticed this... it would have been a lot clearer to remove 10.7, and move the "other than 10.4c" text from 10.6 to 10.6c.