[Law] 22 DO straight into touch

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hi all

I know from the law (after I looked it up after mucking this up in a recent game) there are 4 options, retake, LO, scrum, QTI. My question is where do these options take place as the law book does not specify.

For scrum it had to be on the 22, middle of the pitch. For LO I originally thought where the ball goes into touch as it’s inside the 22, but my coach says LO in the 22. Which I can understand if we say the kick should be from the 22 itself therefore straight out is no gain in ground. Agreed?

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Can i ask , what you offered , as you suggest you mucked same.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For LO I originally thought where the ball goes into touch as it’s inside the 22, but my coach says LO in the 22. Which I can understand if we say the kick should be from the 22 itself therefore straight out is no gain in ground. Agreed?

your coach is right ..

[LAWS]22.8.b
The ball goes directly into touch from a 22 drop-out.
If the touch option is taken, then the throw is where the ball reaches the touchline or on the 22-metre line, whichever is nearer to the kicker’s goal line. [/LAWS]

so there is a massive opportunity for the defending team to gather the ball, run quickly up toward the 22m line and take the QTI at an opportune moment as they get close...

Last edited:

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Well, I didn’t offer any options and was heading for a LO where the hall went out until I saw the subtle hand gesture from my coach gesturing me back to the 22, so he rescued me nicely! Result was OK (oppo didn’t know if any options and were assuming LO) but I clearly didn’t know my stuff here.

This was a case of a law I just hadn’t read recently and really didn’t know the options or where they take place.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If it’s any help I would have failed on this one too, off to double check restart kick straight to touch options ! ....

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
This was a case of a law I just hadn’t read recently and really didn’t know the options or where they take place.

To be fair, it hardly ever happens.

And if if it does happen again, you’re sure to remember now!

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

If it’s any help I would have failed on this one too, off to double check restart kick straight to touch options ! ....

Not much help, particularly as my error was in front of my coach, but thanks for the thoughts!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Take heart that hopefully you’ve helped me avoid the same fate! I guess the way to approach this and the restart line out option (half way) is that the throw is at the point most advantageous to the throwing team. Thanks by the way :)

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
[LAWS]22.8.b
If the touch option is taken, then the throw is where the ball reaches the touchline or on the 22-metre line, whichever is nearer to the kicker’s goal line. [/LAWS]

so there is a massive opportunity for the defending team to gather the ball, run quickly up toward the 22m line and take the QTI at an opportune moment as they get close...

I vaguely recall this happening in an English Premiership game a few years ago, resulting in a try. I was quite impressed by the advanced knowledge of the laws shown by the players!

frenchie851

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Hi all

I know from the law (after I looked it up after mucking this up in a recent game) there are 4 options, retake, LO, scrum, QTI. My question is where do these options take place as the law book does not specify.

For scrum it had to be on the 22, middle of the pitch. For LO I originally thought where the ball goes into touch as it’s inside the 22, but my coach says LO in the 22. Which I can understand if we say the kick should be from the 22 itself therefore straight out is no gain in ground. Agreed?

What is QTI? Quick Taken......? (just a guess)

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
your coach is right ..

[LAWS]22.8.b

Ah, but what if the ball crosses the 22 and then either curls back or is blown back and crosses the touchline say 15m from the kicker's goal line? where are you awarding the lineout now?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ah, but what if the ball crosses the 22 and then either curls back or is blown back and crosses the touchline say 15m from the kicker's goal line? where are you awarding the lineout now?

Amazingly the law book explicitly covers this wierd scenario !
Its where ball went out

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Never seen this in 5 years, then get 2 in 2 weeks. At least this time (in front of a large crowd) I knew what the options were and where to have the LO/scrum.

Has a restart kick go into the in goal area as well, another rare occurrence and a quick brain recall for action!