22 Drop out

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Had a couple of failed penalty kicks at goal on Saturday resulting in 22 drop out restarts. I wasn't happy about where I should position myself. I wanted to be in front of the kicker (to get a head start) but didn't want to block him. A bit of advice please on your preferred starting position.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Had a couple of failed penalty kicks at goal on Saturday resulting in 22 drop out restarts. I wasn't happy about where I should position myself. I wanted to be in front of the kicker (to get a head start) but didn't want to block him. A bit of advice please on your preferred starting position.

I stand astride the 22. I want to see the kicker is his side of it and the defenders are their side.
You don't want to be in front of the kicker as a 22 drop out can go just about anywhere. So if the kicker is kicking from well back in the 22 you may need to move back as well.
Keep the kicker between you and the forwards.
As soon as the ball is kicked accelerate (you should already be on your toes and moving) towards the next breakdown.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ask quietly "If I am in the way here, TELL ME":Nerv:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Stand 5m away and slightly behind on the opposite side to the expected kick - you are out of the way, but able to see players ahead of kicker or blockers jumping ove the 22m line.

Never "lead" any lead (22m drop out, kick off / restart), penalty from hand or penalty / conversions at posts.

If you are fit enough and have worked on your acceleration / first 10 m in training you never need a head start.

Assessors wil mark you down for it.

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Thanks for that guys, lots of useful info.

I do ask which way they are going at kick off or restart, something along the lines of "which way are you going, so I don't get it up my jacksie".

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I tried that in my disaster. He just looked me in the eye and said "We don't have to tell you."

Charming. :rolleyes:

To which I hope you replied "well as I've told you where I'll be, if it hits me, I'll know it's deliberate, and that makes my decision easy"

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
To which I hope you replied "well as I've told you where I'll be, if it hits me, I'll know it's deliberate, and that makes my decision easy"

:clap: