3/152

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Root & Malan going OK with 202 to win

My tip is that they're brittle and tomorrow will fold faster than Superman on laundry day.

We will see.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Aust will find a way to snatch a defeat from the claws of victory!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
You lot can't even say the score the right way round - it's 152 for 3!! :mad:

Or rather it's 176 for 4.

Good luck to both teams - except Australia. :)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I was a bit disappointed this morning. I was hoping to hear the 2nd verse of Jerusalem from the barmy army at the start of play but it stopped all of a sudden. Maybe they forgot the words. :shrug:

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
One thing the English need to learn is to back up their sledging with cricket. The Australians can sledge because they can play a bit. sledging when you lose just sounds daft.

One of my favorite misstimed sledges from a fomer england bowler:

During a county game, after beating Richards bat a few times Thomas told Richards:
“It’s red, round & weighs about 5 ounces in case you were wondering.”
Richards hammered the next delivery out of the cricket grounds and into a nearby river. Turning to the bowler, he said:
“Greg, you know what it looks like, now go and find it.”

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
My favourite sledge?

Mark Waugh: “Look who it is. Mate, what are you doing here? There’s no way you’re good enough to play for England.”
James Ormond : “Maybe not, but at least I’m the best player in my family.”

didds

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
That one is ammusing but it is typically "British". The "Yes, we are all crap but we are having a jolly good time" and "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King".

For me, I'd rather be Mark Waugh than the best cricketer in my family! Which I am, if you discount the goldfish!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and that's the series done. Historically england will lose at Perth (they always do). So that is 3-0 in a 5 test series

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My favourite:
Eddo Brandes, the chicken farmer who batted at 11 for Zimbabwe, was surviving in entirely haphazard fashion. The exasperated bowler (Glenn McGrath) wandered down the pitch and drolly enquired: "Eddo, why are you so fat?" Brandes promptly replied: "Because every time I make love to your wife, she gives me a biscuit."

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
That was attributed to Shane Warne as well.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My favourite:
Eddo Brandes, the chicken farmer who batted at 11 for Zimbabwe, was surviving in entirely haphazard fashion. The exasperated bowler (Glenn McGrath) wandered down the pitch and drolly enquired: "Eddo, why are you so fat?" Brandes promptly replied: "Because every time I make love to your wife, she gives me a biscuit."

That was attributed to Shane Warne as well.

Nope, definitely Brandes and McGrath. It's one of my favourite sledges as well, although it doesn't quite seem so funny after what happened to Jane McGrath.

Another favourite sledge of mine was between South African Daryll Cullinen and Shane Warne. It happened as Cullinan was arriving at the batting crease..

Warne: "I've been waiting two years for another chance to humiliate you."

Cullinan: "Looks like you spent it eating,”

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'd heard the biscuit remark attributed to Shane Warne as well. And the fast-bowler hit for six remark wrt others too, and certainly in the 70s before Thomas' time.

undoubtedly some of them are rhetorical.

And the point of sledging of course being to make a mark, have an effect - its not a philosophical debate even if it doesn't really bear much scrutiny.

didds

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've tended to believe that insults from another player or foul play were 'back-handed' compliments. ' I can't beat you with skill so I will resort to other means'. It never crossed my mind that the insults might be true (they weren't, the place of my birth is officially recorded though, as was the marital status of my parents).

Of course the sledging player may just be a W*nKer.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
normal services will now resume:

1.jpg

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No need to rub it in Dickie - they already knew they're sh!t before they even got on the plane to get here.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Given the relative youth of Australia's current crop it doesn't bode well for 2019 Ashes/World Cup either as Cook, Anderson and Broad etc head (rapidly?) towards retirement.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A couple of things

First, England's pace attack looks to be all same, same, same; there is no variety. Chris Woakes, Criag Overton, James Anderson and Stuart Broad are all right arm fast-medium and generally bowl over the wicket. A key factor in a bowling attack's ability to make batsmen uncomfortable is changing the angles the ball comes from to take advantage of variations in the pitch and the wind direction and speed. The Aussie batsmen were always facing the ball coming from the same general direction. Now look at the Aussie attack... Hazlewood, right arm fast medium, Cummins, right fast and a good short-pitch bowler, and Starc is a left arm fast-medium who also bowls around the wicket, and that allows him to angle in. His speed and swing from wide out made the England left-handers such as Cook, Stoneman, Malan and Ali very uncomfortable.

Secondly, I thought Joe Root's captaincy was poor. Not only were his field placings not good, but he didn't counsel his bowlers very well. Surely he could see as well as anyone else that balls hitting the pitch cracks were often deviating sharply and/or bouncing unevenly, yet he didn't appear to be talking to his bowlers, telling them to concentrate on hitting those cracks.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Secondly, I thought Joe Root's captaincy was poor. Not only were his field placings not good, but he didn't counsel his bowlers very well. Surely he could see as well as anyone else that balls hitting the pitch cracks were often deviating sharply and/or bouncing unevenly, yet he didn't appear to be talking to his bowlers, telling them to concentrate on hitting those cracks.

Surely they weren't that dumb...if they didn't see that for themselves then nothing Root could have done to help them.

Did Root need to remind them to breath and run concurrently too?

I bet they just couldn't land it on the spot no matter how hard they tried. :biggrin:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Isn't all bad. Smokin' Joe has won three tosses on the trot. Must be worth an MBE?