3 Red cards in 2 minutes.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
The Clive Norling approach before a game by 'taking charge' can work at several levels, in appropriate conditions.

A ref at around L 8/9 had a poor game and really did not get a grip of the breakdown - to slow in decison making and reluctant to penalise, you know the sort of thing. He already knew that he was going to have one of the same teams again the following week and asked my advice as to whether he should seek a change of fixture.

I made it clear that the decision was his but we talked through the various ways of taking control and even covered the pre match phase. To cut a long story short he did do the game and adjusted his pre match briefing to be more focused and relevant, setting out what would happen without room for misunderstanding. He also made sure that the control standards were very firmly applied at the start and maintained. He had a good game and he (and I) breathed a sigh of relief.

Of course there are times when even the toughest pre match lecture fails to deliver the results - but it is where the control begins.

But if it doesn't work, then send them all off. It may not help your career as a ref but at least you will have a clear conscience.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have previously mentioned that I saw one game where a mas brawl erupted 4 minutes from the end when a spectator attacked one of the away team. The referee had been firm throughout on foul play and could not have been expected to foresee the spectator's stupidity. He abandoned the game and was fully supported by the Disciplinary Committee. The club banned the spectator.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I know it's some time ago .... http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport...oned-as-all-16-forwards-are-sent-off-1.775460

"The game could not continue without forwards."

is this right - couldn't they have played 7's?

- - - Updated - - -

Todays Midol is talking about a possible premeditated action. A La Rochelle player (Jordan Seneca - sent off) had actually tweeted BEFORE the game : "I may come in for the fight"... I think the objectif was that if they realised the match was lost, they had to make sure that a maximum of Pau players wouldn't be able to play the final, next week..

Please let us know if this is investigated, sounds like it should be.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
...Please let us know if this is investigated, sounds like it should be.
Md-Ol said:
Because of previous history between the two clubs : there was a poisonous ambiance about this match.

The Ligue nationale de rugby have issued 7 convocations ; to both clubs firstly, the three red-carded players and two of the trainers. While the La Rochelle player may yet regret his "tweet" his trainer has said the agressive reception they had from the home supporters contributed to the on-field problems & Pau could not shift all the blame onto his team.
The fact the disciplinary comission has been set for the 29 of May* indicates that some folks are going to cop lenghty bans. *(This is after Pau have played their Final, which means that the red cards La Rochelle when out to get for the opposition won't prevent them from playing the final at full strenght.)

Source : Mid-Ol

Last edited:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hullo,
A couple of other titbits floating around the www : I was surprised to read that twitter-man, Jordan Seneca (prop) is only 21 years old ; so (hopefully) he'll learn his lesson. That said, this is his second red this season, appearantly he copped a 20 day ban for Brutality, at the start of the season (on the 22 of September, against LOU).

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
.....Just a reminder : the winner is promoted to TOP14, so a huge pressure on both clubs

I think the LNR, or whoever is responsible for running the Pro-D2, should consider denying both teams promotion to Top 14, and just promote the next team down. That would certainly send a message that this kind of disgraceful behaviour will have consequences.

At the very least, they should charge both clubs with bringing the game into disrepute.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
two ways of dealing with this behaviour as a ref.

Send them off and call the game off after the second brawl.
or
Do nothing and let them fight and fight and fight.

Anything in between is just a waste of time.