50-10

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yeah - don't get me wrong though, I've blow early when asked to do so...
Is that so??? Lucky them!

One typical example was a merit table game at Andover 3rds several years ago - horizontal sleet in about a force 6. The Andover captain and his oppo approached me and explained that given the large score difference neither side felt that the game was worth continuing for the last 15 minutes, and that was I aware that hot water for the showers was limited, and that the 1st team game (Who'd got away slightly ahead of us,)was due to finish in about 10mins.... <peeeeep - eeep>

Hot water.

Bliss.
Hmm hypothermia - Now you're talking about ref safety and that is paramount! Good decision :clap:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Let's not forget that we are playing a game. It's meant to be fun and enjoyed. In the big picture of life it is nothing even if it is a Level 5 League match. What is important is that 15 guys from the team that is getting tonked want to come back and play the following Saturday - if they don't then another 15 guys don't get a match. To sum up - the game and it's future are more important than one individual match and the result of one league table.

If a team is getting thrashed I ref it accordingly - winning side find their SH has lost any knack of putting in straight and their hooker often has his foot up; marginal forward passes become clear forward passes, offside line becomes more severe etc.
Stuart, I suspect that you'd reconsider after proper consideration in respect of a L.5 league match. That's near the sharp bit of the pyramid - there are plenty of sides lower down keen to take the poor team's place, and those getting thrashed need to drop down a level - it's totally counter-productive to throw them a lifeline that may result in them staying up by the skin of their teeth and by dint of what is in effect a referee cheating the other sides in that league and the one below.

There are many instances at the bottom end of the pyramid (and I dare say they crop up in Antwerp as much as anywhere else) where your sympathies are justified - but your methods aren't. When playing rugby, the players deserve a level playing field. if it's too one-sided to be enjoyable, then a word with the skppers and coaches may result in the stronger side taking of men, or swapping some of their good players for lesser ones on the oppo side - or perhaps park the game and start a new one with mixed teams as a beer match. This is the correct way to deal with it; if it can't be achieved by goodwill on both sides in the spirit of the rugby fraternity, then it is not your place to sort it out for them by compromising your integrity as a referee.

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
Dixie

A L5 league match will never come my way and I can accept that at this level a different approach to mine is appropriate. I do however ref a lot of L9-L12 games where the fact that a side has turned up with 15 players is a real bonus. I also ref a lot of junior games. These types of games will certainly have influenced my approach to refereeing. Also think back to your own playing days and how you felt about turning out for the next match after a thorough drubbing. I'd rather a side miss out on the league championship by a 10 point point margin rather than the team at the bottom of the league withdraw from the league because this season they've been stuffed by 60 points every game.

We all know that there are those 50-50 moments in a game where we decide whether or not to ping a feed which might/might not be crooked. If a side is 50 points up then my eyesight is such that that 50-50 balance changes. I am not creating offences merely colouring my judgement IN THE INTEREST OF THE GAME (i.e. RUGBY) AND IT'S FUTURE.

I have also mentioned to coaches of sides that are thrashing another side that they may find some calls going against them. Never have I received and criticism. Rarely do I let the losing side know that I've reffed to try to keep them interested in the game (patronising).

A week ago I was assessed and the assessor appreciated that I'd kept the losing team (who were being well and truly tonked) interested in the game and was pleased I'd blown up a few minutes early at the end. And yes, it was a league game.

Of interest was it beneficial for Manchester, last season, to have been pasted every game. Was it good for those (brave?) players to turn out every week to see a triple figure score against them? Was it good for the sport? When the score was 110-0 would you still have stopped the clock for injuries? I know I certainly wouldn't have.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
74-15 on Saturday no fun for anyone and had to penalise visitors for comments late in second half.
Some of them didn't seem to realise that without me and the agreement of the home front row and skipper it would have been over 100!!!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Stuartg - you are sailing very close to the wind. Make sure you do not capsize.