5th Lions match

Padster

Referees in England
Post Likes
I thought Mark Lawrence had a good game and felt he was consistent which, as a player, was all I wanted.

I watched George Clancy referee the New Zealand vs France match and he had a good game. It is nice to see that the commentators in NZ have a similar level of accuracy as our very own Mr Barnes!!!:D :D

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The slomo replay of the Powell tackle, as with the 3 in my OP, showed the ref got a tight call wrong ...
Interesting - I thought it showed the exact opposite. The call made was that there was no attempt to wrap, but equally no leading with the shoulder. At the time of impact, AP's arms were spread wide. It's possible he might have intended to close them if the attacker had not bounced back, but if he'd been tackling legally, the attacker could not have bounced back because he would have been enfolded in AP's arms. To my mind, the call was spot on in all regards.

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
According to 10.4(g) the tackler must be "trying to grasp" and from AP's stance I think that was true. If the ball carrier hadn't bounced back so violently the wrap would've been made but I suppose that's conjecture. But the ref has to conclude here that he wasn't even "trying to grasp", (you agree he might have intended to) so I think that's a harsh call.

The tackle wasn't dangerous under 10.4(e). AP didn't hit him above the shoulder and didn't charge the player; he stepped forwards into him, making himself an unmovable object and the ball carrier bounced back at more or less the same speed with which he ran into him. To my mind, it was the velocity of the impact that prevented the wrap taking place, not a lack of intent by the tackler.