6 Nations appointments published

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Graham Hughes and Simon McDowell get 5 each.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
isn't that a debut 6 Nations for Glen Jackson as well?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Walshy <3 Timing his run perfectly for the WC ;)

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
isn't that a debut 6 Nations for Glen Jackson as well?

Good spot. He ARd twice in the 6N last year but has broken into the top tier in the summer and autumn programme since the last 6N campaign.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Oh Christ, we're in trouble.

One Glen Jackson, and two French refs, including Monsieur Reward the dominantscrumevenifthey'reillegal.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Did Walsh have a hand it those appointments, talk about getting the "Hollywood" spot!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I watched the France v Argentina game from a week or so ago. SW was ARing for George Clancy.

Imhoff (I think) went in to the corner and SW and GC had a slight conference. GC asked SW if he should ask the TMO "any reason not to award a try" and Walsh (in my eyes) gave him a "are you completely f+%£ing stupid" sort of look but agreed that GC should ask.

SW has a curious way of dealing with people. His manner in dealing with TMOs (especially non English as first language types) is something to behold (listen to).

As a referee I quite like him but I wonder if he sits on his own at the post match dinners? :biggrin:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
SW has a curious way of dealing with people. His manner in dealing with TMOs (especially non English as first language types) is something to behold (listen to).

As a referee I quite like him but I wonder if he sits on his own at the post match dinners? :biggrin:

Had you noticed how he has changed his demeanour with players (especially captains) in the past 2/3 seasons??
His current approach is not his natural style.

Add: this is more his natural style. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IhbOVco4eYw
(Or search Steve Walsh vs Stephen hoiles)
You will see SW rub his chin a lot. This is helping to manually keep his mouth shut until his brain engages first.

Last edited:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Had you noticed how he has changed his demeanour with players (especially captains) in the past 2/3 seasons??
His current approach is not his natural style.

Add: this is more his natural style. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IhbOVco4eYw
(Or search Steve Walsh vs Stephen hoiles)
You will see SW rub his chin a lot. This is helping to manually keep his mouth shut until his brain engages first.

By which you mean his natural style is hungover/still drunk? ;)

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Careful, Wert will be on here giving you what for :wait:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Anyone know what Walsh did for a day job before reffing at the elite level? I would not be surprised if he was a school teacher.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
By which you mean his natural style is hungover/still drunk? ;)

I know that's a joke but even when he was a drinker, he was a damn sight better than you or I will ever be. Since he has jumped on the sober wagon he has been consistently one of the best in the world, if not the best in the world for patches. Him, Joubert and Owens/Barnes are the top 3. It would have been him, Joubert and Owens however after the AIs Barnes raised his game and Owens slipped back a little bit IMO.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I heard that SW had purchased into a chain of convience stores back home and was along the lines of the area manager, this came from a Tier 1 referee so maybe some truth in it, maybe some of our SH referees can confirm.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
There are conflicting reports of messiahdom

" But I saiduth onto Nigel, ""For I am NOT the messiah. I am but a naughty boy"" ".

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
He has rough bits, but I'm going to say I always enjoy watching SW.

NO is good, but I can guarantee that at least once a game I'm going to go "JFC what are you doing?!"

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
It seems to me that lately NO has been so intent using "downtime" to have little aside communication with players (much of it admittedly constructive) that he has struggled to take a breath and take mental note of wider issues (or just have a moment for himself to reset the clock). Of course, no-one denies that his handling of NZ v SA last year was one of the great refereeing performances, but he does seem to have slipped out of form a little. Also agree that SW is on the up - I thought his breakdown accuracy during the AIs was truly fantastic - but he does still struggle badly with the scrum, I feel. It's such a let-down, and is only highlighted when his general standard is so markedly improved.