7s Competitions

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
So I am currently on a 7s 'circuit'

Whilst attending these competitons from the South right up to Edinburgh there always seems to be a number of teams that withdraw or dont turn up. These are teams from National leagues through to invitational teams or even low league teams.

Is this rife through the 7s world, and why is it? Can we do anything to prevent it?

Really frustrating for both officials and other teams.

Chunky Charvis

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
So I am currently on a 7s 'circuit'

Whilst attending these competitons from the South right up to Edinburgh there always seems to be a number of teams that withdraw or dont turn up. These are teams from National leagues through to invitational teams or even low league teams.

Is this rife through the 7s world, and why is it? Can we do anything to prevent it?

Really frustrating for both officials and other teams.

Slough 7s have used the following: they charge £50 entry fee. However, when teams apply, they have to send payment for £100.
50% is then refunded on arrival at the 7s tournament on the day. Seems to work well, and if team doesn't show... organisers make some money to compensate for the disruption. Seems to work well.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not usually a massive problem out here in SoCal. We tend to have our core of teams that are competing to go to nationals, then a open division and finishing off with social (this list includes men and women). Most teams that say they are going to turn up do turn up and the attrition rate only kicks in as the day progresses and teams start to get knocked out and leave instead of staying and learning.

You can read about my latest game here:

http://rugbymag.com/news/clubs/club-sevens/5192-ombac-surprise-winner-in-santa-monica-.html

Hope you're enjoying the 7s Andy (despite the 5 subs making the 14 minutes seem longer than normal!)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
There is always a "no-show" element at tournaments, both during and after the 15's season. As refs there is sod all we can do - not our issue. Tournament organisers everywhere have given it a great deal of thought - and largely failed to stem the tide.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Allows time for a well deserved cup of tea...

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I did a 2 day sevens tournament and there were at least 5 teams who decided that enjoying the Saturday night entertainment was better than playing on the Sunday so cried off Sunday morning