8.3 (d) WHEN THE ADVANTAGE LAW IS NOT APPLIED

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Trial format for discussion:

8.3 (d) WHEN THE ADVANTAGE LAW IS NOT APPLIED

Delete: (d) Collapsed scrum. Advantage must not be applied when a scrum collapses. The referee must blow the whistle immediately.

Amend: Player lifted in the air. Advantage must not be applied when a player in a scrum is lifted in the air or forced upwards and has no support on the ground out of the scrum. The referee must blow the whistle immediately.

Justification: This is to formalise a refereeing practice that is more and more applied. Also, in such circumstances, advantage may be applied if there is no risk for the players’ safety.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What I think works is to post the change/trial without comment then each responder can add their thoughts regards the law rather than the original posters comments.

My thoughts on the change: Yes. Stops dropping the front row just to kill the ops ball. Lets the referee determine risk with the exception of a lifted front row. Bravo!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In order to comment, you need to compare with the Law as it currently is... Which is

(e) Player lifted in the air. Advantage must not be applied when a player in a scrum is lifted in the air or forced upwards out of the scrum. The referee must blow the whistle immediately.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hmmm. Good point. The OP could have been split into two but I thought the major point was the removal of (d) and that (e) was just modified to include " and has no support on the ground ".

Now I think about it both are a significant change for the better.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
My thoughts on the change: Yes. Stops dropping the front row just to kill the ops ball. Lets the referee determine risk with the exception of a lifted front row. Bravo!

During the RWC I had some higher level games than usual. All front row players were very happy that I would be whistling immediately if scrums collapsed. Mind you, collapses even at that level tend to be due to the muddy ground here, so often a surprise to players.

On reflection, and with your explanation, I don't think this law change will have much increase in danger at any level. As you say, the referee can determine risk, and at grassroots or even any non-professional level, front row players will not mind if referees are fast on the whistle.