[Kit] A classic: single stud at the toe

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Just to put my mind to rest, the provision banning a single stud at the toe has been removed from Law 4 & Reg 12, yes? I think this happened during the few years I spent out of the game, and would like some confirmation, please. Thanks!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
My understanding is, and the way I referee it, that if the boot was designed to have a single stud at toe then that is OK. However if the boot was designed to have two studs and one is missing then that is not acceptable.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I do sometimes hear that , but I don't see any logic on that

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I think the logic for this is that if the boot is as designed it is reasonable to assume it is not dangerous (unless there are eg sharp or burred studs) but a boot with missing studs from its design is likely to offer an increased risk because of increased pressure on the remaining stud or studs, so I am with Decorily on this.

Pablo, the single stud at the toe prohibition was gradually removed, first by specifically allowing an Adidas boot with 5 front studs, and then some time later by changing the regs.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I do sometimes hear that , but I don't see any logic on that
Well my view is that a single stud at the toe (where the boot was designed to have 2) was pretty much universally agreed to be dangerous and this, in my opinion, didn't change over night just because regulations were adapted.
However, a single stud at the front pattern is now not specifically outlawed so I allow where the boot is designed this way.
At the end of the day it is in the referees 'opinion ' and this is how I see it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the precise opposite !
In the old days we all though that a boot designed to have one stud was dangerous and that is why it was banned
We probably thought a missing stud was dangerous too .. but a lot of times the ref would let it through just remarking .. get a new one for next time

Then the IRB decide they weren't dangerous after all

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I've taken this approach before too, a missing stud in a group of 4 has been ok, but 1 missing in a grouping of 2 I've asked to be fixed as all the weight goes through the single - 2 mins with a stud key it was fixed so everyone was happy

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am not very happy as personally I think a single stud is always dangerous because .. as you say .. all the weight is concentrated on one stud.
But who am I to question.. they are legal now

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Pablo;351308 ......but it seems there’s no longer a basis in law for objecting to them. /QUOTE said:
Unless of course you are of the opinion that they are dangerous!