A tackle gone sadly wrong

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
You may find this relevant; the tackle was looked at by the match review panel and they've listed their reasons for not charging him.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/disciplinary/item?5272

Player does lift leg however does not apply second lifting motion and actions of teammate are a contributing factor. Opponent lands safely. Penalty sufficient.

It's a very tricky one. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0422rkg/Rugby_League_Challenge_Cup_2014_Leeds_v_St_Helens/ 2:01:30 if anyone with iPlayer access wants a look. For me it's a tough one to rule on because this is truly a case where both players are independently doing something that is not inherently dangerous, but the way they combine becomes dangerous. If Delaney doesn't lift the leg, then the force that Joel Moon applies is going to bring Greenwood safely to ground; and if Moon doesn't go up to shoulder level to apply the force, then Greenwood isn't going to go over at that angle when his leg is lifted. It seems like Moon's worried that Greenwood's breaking the tackle from Delaney, so tries to take it over himself; but Delaney thinks he's got a firm hold and expects Moon just to control the upper body while he lifts the leg and brings him down.

Having said all that, if Moon gets control of Greenwood's arms, he's going to come down and splat right on his head. Hopefully those as are paid to think about this stuff get cracking soon.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Did NSWs players not know about McKinnon ????

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd-TATJspQE
He has been charged with a grade 2 dangerous throw, and has said he will fight to downgrade the charge. Failure to get the charge downgraded will result in him missing State of Origin II. Absolutely outrageous if they do downgrade it. Will be interesting to see how many New South Welshman are on the judiciary panel...

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I suppose Cronk is out for a while? (asked with Storm hat on)

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I suppose Cronk is out for a while? (asked with Storm hat on)
Well they're saying he will likely miss the rest of the series, so that's at least 6 weeks. Not good news for Melbourne or Qld!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
yeah, they missed him last night. All I saw Thurston do was miss tackles and knock the ball on.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Dickie E didn't understand this post

Fred Howard was an English International Rugby Referee, often referred to as "The referee's referee". He used a phrase once that has become known as "The Fred Howard test:"

"If you find your finger pointing to the dressing room, you know it was a sending off offence
"

If you still don't remember him, here's a gentle reminder :biggrin:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10744633

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No, I know Fred Howard. I din't understand the anecdote

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
leaguerefaus;2720v said:
"A player who lifts an opponent into a dangerous position, that being, above the horizontal, or a position where the player's head or neck could contact the ground first, will be charged by the match review committee regardless of the outcome of the tackle." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DHF0H5oMYo

Worth listening to this interview again , there was me thinking that there was an increased appetite towards not upending players ....

The fact that even leaguerefaus is outraged is enough for me.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
for a professional player to do that to a fellow professional sickens me.

just as bad is the fact the disciplinary authorities appear to need to grow a pair to punish such offences.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
This is State of Origin; it's kind of like Mykonos, a weird little place where the normal rules of human behaviour don't really apply, regardless of what's going on in the rest of the world.

Disappointed, but not in the least surprised. Wonder what odds I could get on some proper biff in Game 2?

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
This is State of Origin; it's kind of like Mykonos, a weird little place where the normal rules of human behaviour don't really apply, regardless of what's going on in the rest of the world.

Disappointed, but not in the least surprised. Wonder what odds I could get on some proper biff in Game 2?

I'm currently in Queensland and was watching the match on TV. I was shocked at the referees' (lack of) reaction to this dreadful tackle. I said to my wife that it was certainly a red card and was stunned when he stayed on the pitch.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm currently in Queensland and was watching the match on TV. I was shocked at the referees' (lack of) reaction to this dreadful tackle. I said to my wife that it was certainly a red card and was stunned when he stayed on the pitch.
In the past 2 years the NRL has had 3 red cards - it just doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The NRL had an opportunity here to put a stake in the ground, and say "this" deserves a long time on the sideline. They have missed it, and the message they have sent out in so doing, is appalling!

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The NRL had an opportunity here to put a stake in the ground, and say "this" deserves a long time on the sideline. They have missed it, and the message they have sent out in so doing, is appalling!
There has been quiet words that the NRL is filthy with the match review panel, and it is likely that because of this decision, the whole process is going to come under investigation.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Short of outsourcing anything that might possibly affect Origin to NZ or PNG, I'm really not sure what they can do to stop these sort of decisions happening.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Short of outsourcing anything that might possibly affect Origin to NZ or PNG, I'm really not sure what they can do to stop these sort of decisions happening.

Firing the people who make them might be a start!