Aaron Smith knows law 22.4(b)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Anybody see AS's try in the Highlanders v Stormers game?

Cheeky!

How do you defend against it? You can't!

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
In the Leinster v Glasgow match at the weekend, Richie Vernon did the exact same thing, players that know the Law's are too my mind better players because they understand more of what they can and cant do.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Haven't seen it but I bet that a goal line ruck allowed him to have undefended access to lowest part of a post pad

Am I correct?

Last edited:

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
How can you defend against this without getting offside!?

The usual way is to tackle them before they get that close to the line, Ian, and to put them on the back foot each tackle.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The usual way is to tackle them before they get that close to the line, Ian, and to put them on the back foot each tackle.

Did you look at the footage? The ruck was right next to the posts. There was essentially nowhere for a defender to stand in a position where he could tackle AS

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

This isnt thread focused on how to stop someone getting near to your goal line, its about the advantage that thick post protectors give once you're almost there ......... cmon rushy me ol son, keep up !

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
This isnt thread focused on how to stop someone getting near to your goal line, its about the advantage that thick post protectors give once you're almost there ......... cmon rushy me ol son, keep up !

Agreed: it gives an advantage when you're almost there...
But wait, there's the same post protector on the other side of the pitch. I guess it gives an advantage to both team then... :chin:

Not a problem for me at all. Clever play from a clever sneaky SH...

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Here's my solution..

1 Make the outside dimensions of all goalpost padding a uniform, regulation size

2. Set the goalposts back into the in-goal far enough so the the goal-line runs along the outside front of the padding....like this

goalpost-solution.jpg

No special engineering required, just drill the hole in a slightly different place, so it easy for grass roots to be compliant too at little or no additional cost

Last edited:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ian your link didn't work for me, I have a YouTube plugin on my browser so it starts the video from the beginning instead of at the time stamp you undoubtedly put on it.
Here is the clip cut out for those who also had an issue with it https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=33&v=vW73TbOjKp8

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
you know what? Its a "problem" that isn't really there eh?

the game has got far bigger conerns than somebody scoring against the foot of a post instead of trying to cross the line.

didds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
you know what? Its a "problem" that isn't really there eh?

the game has got far bigger conerns than somebody scoring against the foot of a post instead of trying to cross the line.

didds

Its not the issue didds. The issue is how do you defend it?

If the ruck us right next to the post/padding, there is nowhere for an onside defender to stand.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
OK - fair enough ian.

Defense... hmm.

hasn't this forum concluded that a defender can have his feet behind the offside line but his hands resting on the ground way in front of it?

So could the defense have a player immediately adjacent to each side of the Post protector(PP) resting on their hands some distance in front of the PP and as soon as the s/half picks the nearest on just flops sideways on the floor blocking access to the PP base? while the other actually tackles him (so he just doesn't dummy at the base and dive over the top)

Bit extreme though!

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
hasn't this forum concluded that a defender can have his feet behind the offside line but his hands resting on the ground way in front of it?

I certainly wasn't a party to that. All of the body behind all of the offside line for me

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
OK - fair enough ian.

Defense... hmm.

So could the defense have a player immediately adjacent to each side of the Post protector(PP) resting on their hands some distance in front of the PP and as soon as the s/half picks the nearest on just flops sideways on the floor blocking access to the PP base? while the other actually tackles him (so he just doesn't dummy at the base and dive over the top)

Bit extreme though!

didds

Have a look at the video didds. The ruck was almost rioght up againt the padding. The SH effectively has nothing/no-one to stop him just picking up the ball and placing it against the post; there is nowhere for defenders to stand, the space is all taken up by attackers in the ruck.

This Law was written when there was never any padding against the posts.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Here's a cheap solution for grassroots, why not site their traditional posts 5m back from the Goal line? Elite can afford expensive wishbone versions fixed from the DBL

It only matters for PK & DG & modern balls fly further than those of yesterday , and its the same for everyone, minimal relocation costs and all defendingand player/ref jostlings resolved .

Thoughts?

Last edited:

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Why make tons of VERY expensive changes to pitches around the world? If you think it's cheap to take out a set of posts and move them, or take out a set of posts, throw them in the garbage and buy a new fancy WR set of posts, you must be dreaming. 99% of pitches will no longer be up to the standard set by WR, and the 1% will be professional grounds. I doubt my city would accept a request to move our posts as we barely generate revenue for them. If we did want to get them moved, our club would fold as membership dues would jump through the roof and we wouldn't have players anymore.

As well, Browner, I'm not sure if you've taken a glance through the WR law book recently where it specifies in goal length, but an in goal can vary from 10m to 22m. I've yet to see a set of "wishbone" posts that have a horizontal beam that's 22m long...CFL and NFL ones are 6 feet (just under 2m) behind the line and trust me when I tell you that they wobble when you touch them. Imagine making that 10x longer?

A much simpler solution would be to re-write the law to say something along the lines that the goal line runs through the post and post protectors instead of the current law that say it that the post padding and post are part of the goal line.