Abandoned game

Brian Ravenhill

Referees in England
Post Likes
Here is my abandoned game report (previously didn’t know one was required)

"Report in to the abandonment of the game Whites vs Blues, 20th January 2007.

The level 7 game between *********(white) and *******(blue) in the 5th Round of the EDF Vase was abandoned due to the unsafe nature of the playing surface.

The first scrum of the game, was a throw-in to blue after a knock on by white, within blues 22 and just to the right of their posts. This scrum was set and then reset on four occasions each reset was due to the collapse of the front rows into the tunnel. On each occasion that the scrum collapsed it was due to the fact, that as pressure was exerted on the opposition, the feet of the front rows gradually slipped away from beneath them, in the playing surface until they could no long hold their driving position and collapsed. This was clearly evident in the ‘tram lines’ made by the players boots in the pitch, each scrum was re-set on a different centre line. During this sequence of re-set scrumages I warned both packs that if they were unable to scrumage there would be no game. Eventually on the fifth scrum engagement the ball was won by blue, and kicked to touch, but as the ball was passed away from the scrum again the scrum collapsed.

Prior to the lineout I spoke to both captains I said that I was unhappy with the condition of the playing surface and it’s ability to prove a safe surface for scrumages, and that if another scrum collapsed due to the front rows slipping I would abandon the game. Both captains went and spoke to their respective packs.

The throw in to the lineout was not straight and blues elected for a scrum. This scrum was set on blues 10m line with blues retaining the ball in an almost uncontested scrum that remained steady and stable at all times. Play then continued until the twelfth minute of the game with no further scrumages.

The third scrumage of the game was within blues 22 and 5 m in from their left hand touch line gain blue throw in the scrum was set the ball was thrown in and again the scrumage. I blew to end the scrumage and then blew to end the game apologising to both teams for the abandonment of the game.

So on the 3 occasions that I awarded scrums in the 12 minutes of the game there were 4 re-sets and 6 of the 7 set scrums collapsed all in my opinion as a result of the packs especially the front rows being unable to find a safe and stable footing.

Brian Ravenhill
Gloucester & District Referees Society"

Any comments from other referees was I to quick to end the game, was I to slow to end the game, should I have even started the game.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Assuming both captaisn were happy to start?

I'm good with youir rationale.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Any comments from other referees was I to quick to end the game,

I don't think so, no.

If it was a friendly, I'd probably have offered the captains the option of switching to uncontested scrums before abandoning.

(Thinking about it, I'd probably have offered them the same choice in a league match too - and let the league sort out afterwards if what I'd done was acceptable to them or not.)

...should I have even started the game.

FWIW, I'm instructed that we have no authority to prevent the start of a game - but that you can blow "full time" as soon as the kick is taken.

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Safety, Equity, Law. You certainly seemed to have an unsafe situation, and you addressed it early and responsibly.

I think the only possible objection would be that you didn't go uncontested. While a game with uncontested scrums is less of a game than one with contested scrums, it is much more of a game than one abandoned after 12 minutes. As it was a 5th round EDF Vase game with something riding on it, you could have gone uncontested, noted the time and score, and offered the skippers the chance of applying to the authorities for a rematch if they felt unduly disadvantaged. At least that way they'd have got a run-out.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I'm with Dixie on this one. If unsafe only at the scrum, lets go uncontested, and let the cup organisers and teams sort it out. Our main aim is to conduct a game safely. You managed the safe bit, but not the game bit. Any reason why you didn't go uncontested?

Of course if there are other safety concerns........

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
While I agree technically with Dixie, my concern would be that if the ground was so unsafe for scums, it would be equally unsafe for driving mauls and such. Since there is no such thing as an uncontested driving maul, I feel Brian got it right.

I blue to end the scrumage and then blue to end the game ...
;) I thought at first that was a reference to your language ...

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Any reason why you didn't go uncontested?

I would suggest that because it was an EDF Cup game there is no point in going uncontested. Whilst it is not our place to get involved with the politics of the Competition Rules, it is more than likely that the match would have to have been replayed - since the loosing Coach would have put forward an argument that by going uncotested his side's advantage was negated.

The only concern I have is that the game was allowed to start in the first place. I take it that neither Captain (nor Coach) offered an opinion about the suitability (or otherwise) of the playing surface during pre-match?

If you had a concern about the viability of the surface to hold out, you could have asked the open ended "What do think about the conditions?", and started the debate. That may also have alerted the skippers to the fact that you weren't entirely happy.

I know that it was a Cup game, and that one of the teams had travelled quite a distance, and there were a number of spectators, but we should not allow those factors to cloud our judgement.

Good call though, and with you 100%.

Brian Ravenhill

Referees in England
Post Likes
I did not even consider going to uncontested scrums as the law says that these are only for the instance when no trained front row are available.

I did got a lot of stick whilst walking back to the changing rooms, none of it abusive, but none of it complementary.

The general comment from ex-players was ‘I’ve played in worse conditions than these’, my response to that was ’20 years ago players didn’t sue the referee when they got injured’.

Another won was ‘you could have tried for a bit longer’, my response was ‘I’d rather abandon it now and all walk off than in 10 minutes because were waiting for an ambulance.’

Each of my responses tended to quieten the complainant.

MY ADVISE TO ANY OTHER REFEREE IF PUT IN A SIMILAR POSITION

ABANDON THE GAME IF YOU CONSIDER THAT THE CONDITIONS ARE UNSAFE TO CONTINUE THE DESIRED GAME OF RUGBY. GIVE YOUR REASON CLEARLY AND STICK WITH IT. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYONES SAFETY.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good stuff Brian, a case study for us all to digest and remember when faced with a similar circumstance.