Adult Game Review

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Have any of the English Referees given any thought to the new structure proposed by the Adult game review?

The proposed structure flattens the pyramid

- level 3 is reduced to 14 teams- 7 games a week
- level 4 becomes 4 leagues of 12 - 24 games a week
- level 5 becomes 8 leagues of 12 - 48 games a week
- level 6 becomes 16 leagues of 12 - 96 games a week

Level 7 and below are leagues of 12 but the organization is up the the CBs so the doubling stops.

Reducing the size of the league reduces the number of matches, but some of these are replaced by compulsory cup competitions at levels 4,5 and 6 which start with a pool stage with 3 matches and then four or five round knockout. Clubs at level 7 and below will be offered the chance of entering regional cups on the same format.

More referees will be needed at the higher levels, though fewer are needed at Regional level. Overall of course the same number of matches are played - but more may need appointed ARs.

Also after Christmas when the cups enter the knock out stages, the number of matches drops - so there will be fewer games so more refs will have more weeks off.

How will this affect referees?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
General discussion from clubs I've seen seems to be against the proposed changes, but a few seem to think that it won't be too bad?

With regards to refereeing, it likely won't affect the number of games I do, if only because Staffs is quite a small society so they can ill afford to give referees weeks off. I assume friendlies will still need covering too, so there are extras available. If indeed they do need more To3 appointed, I can see this being difficult, especially if they are scheduled on the same weekends.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
There are (have been for some time) lots of discussions underway amongst clubs (especially at the NCA level 3 and 4), plus the level 5 and 6 clubs have realised the possible implications for them too. Lots of smoke & mirrors and forked tongues it seems - all very confusing.

Lots of the AGR is good stuff but the bad parts are causing a lot of conflict, as is the general lack of consultation.

My take-out so far is there will be fewer league games, a conference sort of play off and a new cup competition. It might mean less games, and this is what opponents of the AGR are talking about - see bit.ly/LessGames or saverugbyblog.wordpress.com for their blog. A big issue is the fringe players and no meaningful 2nd XV set up at these National League levels.

The NCA clubs especially are rather upset, after the Burton conference, and it is likely to get more RFU v Clubs (NCA) v Clubs (lower levels).

There are potentially lots of implications for match officials at levels 4,5 and 6 especially., and we have been having lots of discussions in preparation, but until we know exactly what is going to change (if anything) we cannot make any more preparations. The Council decision on the AGR has been delayed and lots of lobbying of Council Reps is going on. AGR attached here

Have a look here for lots more info and debate.

View attachment RFU ACR recommendations 6 Mar 2014.pdf

Last edited: