[Law] Advantage after full time

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I think that he had called Advantage Over. Certainly most of the Australian team were not expecting to go back to the Advantage.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I think that he had called Advantage Over. Certainly most of the Australian team were not expecting to go back to the Advantage.

he may have, but I didn't hear him. However you don't usually call adv over for a penalty offence 2m out unless there is a score, especially after normal time is up as you are not even using up normal playing time.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
he may have, but I didn't hear him. However you don't usually call adv over for a penalty offence 2m out unless there is a score, especially after normal time is up as you are not even using up normal playing time.

That was my understanding too, at least at the elite level.

At grass-roots it is OK to call advantage to keep the game alive and then realise that it is "too" live, but only in the second half when the pitch needs to be occupied by the next match.

As I said in 't-other thread, swings and roundabouts. The Australians were certainly happy to be awarded a lineout 'after the hooter'.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Want to end scrum advantage after time expires?

No need for "scrum please ref"
no need for knocking the ball on

Just kick the bloody thing out!

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes

Clearly you're too used to dealing with competent players :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Ian, in other threads you have argued very strongly that you can't gain an advantage by making the ball dead !

(you can, of course)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ian, in other threads you have argued very strongly that you can't gain an advantage by making the ball dead !

(you can, of course)

No, you can't, but now you're just being silly!

You are NOT gaining and advantage by kicking it out, you are deciding to NOT to take an advantage you already have..

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes

Just make sure you find touch - reference B.Botica for Quins vs Northampton

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just make sure you find touch - reference B.Botica for Quins vs Northampton

there was no advantage situation there, of course.

If the referee HAD have been playing advantage to Quins it would have been a VERY interesting moment : should the ref call adv-over the moment Botica (quite freely) chooses to kick it, or does he wait to see if the kick finds touch, as was intended (and then when it didn't call no-adv gained, scrum, no-side, peep)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

(you can, of course)

No, you can't, but now you're just being silly!

You are NOT gaining and advantage by kicking it out, you are deciding to NOT to take an advantage you already have..

Oooooooh!

Better, better but Whaaaa! Whaaaa! Put your hand there!

Oooooaaaaah! Stop hitting me....

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
there was no advantage situation there, of course.

If the referee HAD have been playing advantage to Quins it would have been a VERY interesting moment : should the ref call adv-over the moment Botica (quite freely) chooses to kick it, or does he wait to see if the kick finds touch, as was intended (and then when it didn't call no-adv gained, scrum, no-side, peep)

That would depend on the type of advantage, and if the gain was sufficient tactically and territorially.

If its scrum advantage...

Ball goes into touch with a territorial gain (i,e. where the ball will be thrown in) the referee might call advantage over
Ball stays in the FoP with a territorial gain the referee might call advantage over

If its PK advantage...

Ball goes into touch I would expect the referee to always go back to the PK
Ball stays in the FoP with a territorial gain the referee might call advantage over if the gain was substantial enough

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
so for scrum advantage - the referee should wait to see the result of the kick ? I think that's controversial, TV refs seem to call adv over when the ball is kicked.

in this case it's an interesting dynamic - Botica gained loads of territorial advantage (the kick was a long one) but of course he didn't want territory! territory was a disaster - time has expired and he was trying to kick the ball out, to end the game.

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
in this case it's an interesting dynamic - Botica gained loads of territorial advantage (the kick was a long one) but of course he didn't want territory! territory was a disaster - time has expired and he was trying to kick the ball out, to end the game.

My 13 yr old son immediately asked why Botica didn't just step backwards over the dead ball line to kill the game. Interesting how a pro player was under enough pressure to not think clearly at all!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
so for scrum advantage - the referee should wait to see the result of the kick ?

That isn't what I wrote, but in every case I have seen like this that I can recall, if the player under scrum advantage kicks the ball directly into touch from outside his 22m, the referee has gone back for the scrum.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
well, back to the Botica incident -- we didn't have an adv situation, but if we had have been playing scrum adv to Quins, it would have been a very interesting call for the ref to make

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
That isn't what I wrote, but in every case I have seen like this that I can recall, if the player under scrum advantage kicks the ball directly into touch from outside his 22m, the referee has gone back for the scrum.

I struggle with this one at least a couple of times a season. My usual (scrum) advantage over criterion is if they've kicked the ball under no pressure, that's using it as they wish and therefore tactical advantage (unless it's a complete mis-kick).

Does anyone else handle this differently?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I struggle with this one at least a couple of times a season. My usual (scrum) advantage over criterion is if they've kicked the ball under no pressure, that's using it as they wish and therefore tactical advantage (unless it's a complete mis-kick).

if what they are trying to do is to kick it off the pitch then do you count any type of miss as a miss-kick? That's the question, really.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
if what they are trying to do is to kick it off the pitch then do you count any type of miss as a miss-kick? That's the question, really.

Not the situation I was thinking of, but good point. I was really thinking about kicks out on the full, but if they were kicking out to end the game, I'd let the mis-kick go.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If they kick the ball (under no pressure) then that's advantage over while the ball is in the air.
If their kick is poor, that's not my fault.
Everyone I know does it this way for scrum advantage.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
If they kick the ball (under no pressure) then that's advantage over while the ball is in the air.
If their kick is poor, that's not my fault.
Everyone I know does it this way for scrum advantage.

I do this too