Advantage on wheeled scrum?

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Quick one from my Saturday's game (a nice friendly between 1st XV and 2nd XV of the same club).

Scrum White wheeled by Gold.
Nothing wrong on the FR that I can see.
Ball pops out of the scrum and Gold flanker picks it up... Well almost... Knock-on!
I called it back, wheeled scrum.
Scrum Gold!

It seemed ok when it happened but somehow I had a doubt after the game:
Any issue playing advantage on wheeled scrum?

Any issue with that?
Cheers,
Pierre.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
20.11 (a) says you must stop play, I would blow immediately and not play advantage

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
20.11 (a) says you must stop play, I would blow immediately and not play advantage

I could have looked it up myself... Sorry about that!

And thank you! Because it forced be read again 20.11.(b) and clarify something:
If it's a Blue put in and Red wins the ball against the head. Then the scrum is wheeled, it shall be Blue put in again!

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
8.3 WHEN THE ADVANTAGE LAW IS NOT APPLIED

(c) Wheeled scrum. Advantage must not be applied when the scrum is wheeled through more
than 90 degrees (so that the middle line has passed beyond a position parallel to the
touchline).

Blow as soon as the it goes round. Unless you're a recipient of secret emails, of course!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Pierre, you don't say whether the wheel went beyond 90 degrees - I assume it did. If so, then assuming that White had won the ball before the excess wheel, then you were right. But as you note, if it had been won against the head, it should have been a White put-in.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Dixie, you're assumption is correct.
Basically, I played advantage when I shouldn't have...
In this particular case, no harm done as it comes out to be the same. But a good lesson for next games.

Cheers,
Pierre.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Pierre, you don't say whether the wheel went beyond 90 degrees - I assume it did. If so, then assuming that White had won the ball before the excess wheel, then you were right. But as you note, if it had been won against the head, it should have been a White put-in.
The bit in bold is crucial - and it threw me for ages, so it's probably confusing some others as well. The part of the scrum that counts when deciding if it's gone beyond 90 degrees (or 45 degrees at U18s) is the FR. How often do you see curved scrums, ie where the No 8s are definately passed 90 degrees, but the FRs aren't. It's the middle line of the scrum that you need to look at when deciding if it's gone passed 90 degrees.