advantage - Wales suggest inconsistent application

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just curious, if you're playing advantage and the player asks for the penalty immediately, do you give it to him?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I thought Howley had a point. Though I don't agree about counting phases/time is a useful comparison.

This is what I posted in another thread 3 days ago

"6) did anyone else think CJs advantage was inconsistent in this game? The obvious one for me was74min. PK Adv to Wales. Play goes laterally across field but only 10m forward when he calls adv over? .oz then gets a turnover PK for holding on. I wouldn't call that advantage over, it didn't look tactical as Wales were under pressure all the way across field, and it certainly wasn't territorial! Does anyone think that was sufficient advantage?"

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I expect CJ was playing different advantage depending on whether the PK was kickable or not.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
leaguerefaus:286239 said:
Just curious, if you're playing advantage and the player asks for the penalty immediately, do you give it to him?

Why not, otherwise you force the player who wants advantage over to either "accidentally" knock on, or to stop playing and wait to be tackled etc until you call it. Either of those looks wrong..

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

I don't have a video clip, but have a look at the England v ABs game. NO calls penalty advantage to England as the ball is passed to one of the forwards who simply bats the ball down in front of himself so as to immediately get the PK. Something that just doesn't look good to me. Have seen such actions penalised by a local ref here as a deliberate infringement. Personally, I think the game should continue to see if advantage accrues.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Agree with the general comments about advantage. I can't speak about this game as as I could not be bothered to watch the game. However, rarely does Rob Howley's favorite scrum half say anything worth listening to.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Agree with the general comments about advantage. I can't speak about this game as as I could not be bothered to watch the game. However, rarely does Rob Howley's favorite scrum half say anything worth listening to.

Rob Howley's favourite scrum half?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Personally, I think the game should continue to see if advantage accrues.

last minute of the game. PK awarded 10m in front of posts to a team that is 2 points down.

They'll take that PK 100% of the time.

How do they then get that ? Run the length of the field to their own in goial and over the DBL? I don;t like the deliberate knock-on policy either but why is a team going to risk "advantage over" in this scenario?

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
similarly if they are more points behind, and time is running down .. lets say they need 8 points with five minutes to play
it's a finely baalnced decision then - you need a try and a PK. How close are you to scoring the try? how difficult is the kick ? the on thing you DON'T want to to is waste 60sec playing for an unlikely advantage that never comes. It seems to me very reasonable for a player to say 'can we have the PK please' if that's what they want. Much better than having to commit a deliberate offence.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
If my memory serves me correctly - Wales moved a good few metres upfield and thus advantage over was called. The Australian one mentioned - they spent numerous phases and didn't get anywhere near advancing from the offence mark at all.

I recall saying "good call Craig, Australia got nowhere" to the tv at the time and whilst the Welsh defence was excellent you must give advantage to the non-offending team.

What's the clarification Howley wants? We all know it's ref discretion.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If my memory serves me correctly - Wales moved a good few metres upfield and thus advantage over was called. .

you need more than a few metres to make your situation better than a PK.
not sure what you mean by 'a good few', but it doesn't sound enough - more than they could get from a PK and kick to touch ?