Advantage

BillBu

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Hypothetical Situation:

Red vs Blue

Blue Commits penalty office for which advantage can be played (ie offside at ruck)
Red plays the advantage and goes to another ruck further up the pitch and commits a penalty offence themselves whilst advantage is still being played.

The law of advantage (Law 8 pg 31) more specifically 8.5(b) states
If advantage is being played following an infringement by one team and then the other team commit an infringement, the referee blows the whistle and applies the sanctions associated with the first infringement

Would there be any instances where you would sanction the second offence instead? ie. Dangerous play? Diving in off feet at next ruck?

My initial instinct would be that if the play was dangerous (ie. punching kicking stamping etc... the usual) to sanction the second offence as a reversal of the penalty, but if not to come back to the first offence.

Thoughts / Opinions?

Thanks

Bill

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
My general rule of thumb would be:

If both incidents had happened at the same time (i.e. before advantage for the first offence could be played), would I have overturned the PK?

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
foul play just about over rides everything else ...
so offside by blue, 'adv red, penalty adv' ..
red 6 punches blue 1.. blow whistle immediately... after chats and cards etc ... 'pen to blue, red pen reversed for foul play by red 6'

if second pen is 'coming in the side' or sealing by red .. go back to first pen: no adv

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
all below assumes we are discussing a penalty advantage

1. if red have gone off up the pitch to a second ruck why haven't you called advantage over (enough ground made for territorial gain) ?

2. if not red advantage gained, and second blue offence is -

a) technical offence go back to original offence
b) foul play - kick, punch, stamp, etc - reversed penalty

BillBu

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Simon I was hypothesizing that there wasn't enough advantage :biggrin:

Thanks for the comments guys, yet again showing I should probably go with my gut instinct on these things rather than think them over too much!

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
over analysing stuff is an occupational hazard in the early days of your reffing career (and don't I know it!)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Greg - you highlight probably on of the most important aspects of development in a referee in my view. If doing the main parts of the role automically and sub-consciously, the referee can look for lateral and other actions and also think about patterns, what players are trying to achieve etc.

In my coaching capacity I try to get my referees by level 8 doing the basics automatically, have good visualistaion of key elements (tackle/ruck especially) and so have little that suprises them. Positioning should not be thought about, but just flow with the referee.

Advantage : calling and signalling every time with colour and level (scrum advatage blue) , consistent application and penalty/scrum differentials

Tackle : first offence, segment into tackler away, player release, third man on feet, etc.

If you get hung up over-analysis, especially self-analysis, you will find it harder to move forward.