Advice please

Scrappy

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hi I am new to the forum, so sorry if this has been asked 100's of times. or in the wrong place.

I coach and referee U7's and only been doing the ref bit for 6 months. Is there any ideas on the best way to coach the offside rule to under 7's please? Also is there an idiots guide to refereeing the offside rule at this level?

There seem top many U7 coaches that have there own version of the rule, so hoping for a little bit of advice please.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hi Scrappy, and welcome to the forum.

I will be the last person to advise on 6 year old boys, but are you think offside in general play, at breakdown (ie rucks/mauls) or set piece (scrums/lineout/penalties, etc)

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Dickie - if this is at U7s in RFU land we are talking about mini tag rugby. Here are the relevant regs:-
http://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Docu.../90/RFU_Regulation_15_appendix_1a_Neutral.pdf

And here's the actual wording on offside:-

7. Offside:
Offside only occurs at the time of the tag where the offside line is
through the centre of the ball except for the tagger for whom it is 1 metre further back. When a tag is made, all the other players from the tagger’s team must attempt to retire towards their own goal line until they are behind the ball. If a player, in an offside position, intercepts, prevents or slows down a pass from the tagged player to a team mate, a free pass will be awarded to the non-offending team. A player can, however, run from an onside position to intercept a floated pass before it reaches the intended receiver.
So, each tag creates a new offside line and everyone needs to get back behind that line before intercepting a pass. BUT it doesn't say that they can't tag when in an offside position which is odd!​

Scrappy

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Thank you for the replies, very new to all this, maybe a bit green, having been out of the game for 20 years since I last played, got my son into it at U6, and now progressing onwards. Have been coaching since then, and got onto a mini refs course and enjoy it, and look to progressing down that part of the game for myself. So any words of wisdom, help will always be greatfully received.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Thank you for the replies, very new to all this, maybe a bit green, having been out of the game for 20 years since I last played, got my son into it at U6, and now progressing onwards. Have been coaching since then, and got onto a mini refs course and enjoy it, and look to progressing down that part of the game for myself. So any words of wisdom, help will always be greatfully received.

Many of us wandered a similar path. Study the age grade regs, Enjoy the ride.

There are other better ( read 'more appropriate') resources for coaching guidance than here, although wearing both a coaches & referees head will make it all better.

Encourage 100% acceptance of the referees decision ( irrespective of opinion) from players AND parent supporters , they will all benefit in the long run.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Thank you for the replies, very new to all this, maybe a bit green ....
Stick around Scrappy. There are some people on here that have forgotten more than I will ever know - and more importantly, will share that knowledge.

And remember - if you don't know the answer, there's no such thing as a daft question! Some of the best threads on here have started off with a simple question.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Scrappy,
Your RRefs ID listing shows as:
Grade: Level 2
so its assumed you are not L2 referee in England(?) , does this mean you are coaching U7s in Wales?

Best to know so that you get pointed toward the correct Age Regs for your union.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Hi Scappy, I see you are a Level one and you're stated as in England but you are a coach. So excuse me if I get it wrong but I and Going to assume thart you are a U7 coach in England who refs at that level and not a English L1 referee which I think would make you something like Wayne Barnes brother).

If that is so, Didds post number 7 gives you the link you need.

Scrappy

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I coach in England, U7's currently (tag rugby) at a local club, not England itself (Wouldn't that just be a dream) , and a level 1 referee.

Sorry still trying to get my head around stuff. We were told about parents who will set on you at the course, so always worry about making an incorrect decision. Its all still very new to me again and a complete different view from being an ex player. Thanks for the advice again.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
A good start would be to talk to the coaches/referees in the age groups above you. They probably went through a whole years worth of learning when they were u7s and resolved the issues you're now wanting assistance on.

wolfie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi, I ref all my son's midi matches and he is now at U. 12. What with all the adult games I do, I have found the midis the hardest to ref for lots of reasons. Something I have said regularly found is that everyone has their own opinion about how you should ref and it differs for every team team/ coach/ parent. As well as the individuals who don't know the laws let alone the midi variations. I speak with the coaches and captains before hand. I don't say how I will mange the game but state my priority is to give them a game of rugby and I will do this by only concerning myself with what is material and lots of talking, captain please tell your players to listen to me.

If you can stop them coming in the side and keep the onside you are 90% there. Just keep telling them to get back, remember offside lines are there to create space for running rugby. If you have created that space they can play.