[Law] After final whistle

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Red cross the try line. The referee adjudges the ball held up and immediately blows for full time. Game over.
Immediately the whistle goes it kicks off. Pushing, shoving, strong verbals and possibly the odd punch aimed.
What would you do as referee?

frenchie851

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Ref it exactly the same as you would during the game.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Blow your whistle like you would if there was a mass brawl during the game. Wait for it all to calm down. If it’s just pushing, shoving and verbals, let it go. Make a few notes if there were punches that connected. In any event, have a chat with the society’s discipline secretary and take his advice as to whether it needs escalated to CB discipline.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ref it exactly the same as you would during the game.

alas after you blow the whistle for the end of the game, your authority elapses and you can no longer issue cards.

it's citing reports...

or in the weekend game that perhaps sparked the question - you shout ineffectually at the players and generally flap about ...

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Pushing, shoving, strong verbals and possibly the odd punch aimed.
What would you do as referee?

Depends who the punches were aimed at...
If aimed at me I would run!!

frenchie851

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
alas after you blow the whistle for the end of the game, your authority elapses and you can no longer issue cards.

it's citing reports...

or in the weekend game that perhaps sparked the question - you shout ineffectually at the players and generally flap about ...

Cheers for the heads up. I wouldn't have known that.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

it's citing reports...

I certainly don't know what protocols are over there and not sure the laws prevent you issuing a redcard after the final whistle?
Certainly the laws say the referee can apply laws prior to the match...such as applying clothing laws...so why couldnt you apply foul play laws after time?
Im not suggesting you whip out your RC for a brawl in the clubhouse after the game!!!

We have been advised in these parts that we can and should issue cards and reports while players are still in the "playing enclosure" - even a RC for ref abuse. If it is an issue against the referee outside the playing enclosure (such as abuse) then it's an abuse form. If it's players punching on outside the playing enclosure then it's the team's problem.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Reports , certainly, as anyone can make a report .

But cards are issued during the game.

For clothing , if the player absolutely refuses to wear correct clothes or boots then what actually happens is that you have to start the game and *then* issue a RC

[LAWS]If, at an inspection before the match, a match official tells a player that an item banned under this law is being worn and the player is subsequently found to be wearing that item on the playing area, that player is sent off for misconduct. Sanction: Penalty.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Are you sure of this?

I'm with menace on this.

When I was a LSRFUR as a young referee we were told that you can still issue a card up to 30 minutes after the final whistle.

Perhaps protocol has changed?

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes

I am not sure that it is absolutely as clear as that as I think that if something kicked off immediately after the whistle, you could issue cards. I also have heard the "until they leave the playing enclosure" phrase, and whilst I believe that might happen, it does depend on the offence. I know from experience that swearing at the ref after the game is not a red card offence, but it is reportable as official abuse and is treated exactly the same by the disciplinary committee and gets the player a ban. I think the suggestion to ask the society disciplinary support/officer is the best - you can still issue the card after the event (within the weekend in Scotland) and it will go through a disciplinary process. A fight in the club bar or car park some time after the game is probably best referred to the police.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Reports , certainly, as anyone can make a report .

But cards are issued during the game.

For clothing , if the player absolutely refuses to wear correct clothes or boots then what actually happens is that you have to start the game and *then* issue a RC

[LAWS]If, at an inspection before the match, a match official tells a player that an item banned under this law is being worn and the player is subsequently found to be wearing that item on the playing area, that player is sent off for misconduct. Sanction: Penalty.[/LAWS]
Ive already conceded i dont know your protocols.

I see no laws that says you cant issue cards after time. I do see laws (6) that says referees must apply law 4 before the match started...so there is scope for referees to apply laws outside of "duration".

I guess I'm saying, for equitable reasons and player welfare, that I'd be more than content to issue carda in the playing enclosure and then let the judiciary decide on the merits of whether the card/report is admissible or not. (Plus our union have told us to issue cards while in the playing enclosure)

Tomarto vs tomayto.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
To be clear , I agree that you can write a report and cause a disciplinary to happen.
But I don't think you can show a card

[LAWS].
YELLOW AND RED CARDS

When a player is being cautioned and suspended for 10 minutes, the referee will show that player a yellow card. If that player later commits another yellow-card offence, the player must be sent off.

When a player is being sent off, the referee will show that player a red card and the player will take no further part in the match. A player sent off may not be replaced.[/LAWS]

These are both in game events. Not applicable after the game, as there is no game to be sent off from.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
This surprises me as Red Cards can be issued after the match in football. I reffed years ago for a season in a local football league and while I sent off 3 or 4 players, I never issued a card after the match, although I came close twice lol. There might be something the organising body might write into their competition rules?

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Agree with wider points above about cards after the whistle - a sort of pointless act and out of law. There's a wider refereeing management point to be made here.

This is potentially a problem of the referees making. You know what the clock time is. And you know the temperature of the game/incident. So dont create more of a flashpoint that you need to. Blow the whistle for the scrum. Buy time for people to calm down. Walk back to the spot of the scrum. Then blow full time. Hopefully those extra seconds will help diffuse the flashpoint and saves you a load of grief!

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
WRU protocols were:

Cards "during"

Code of Conduct report "after".

However, a season or two ago a ref followedd that procedure when a player was punched in the tunnel. The DC ban was reatively "weak". When a reason was sought, The reply came: "You should have issued a red card then we could have used the sanctions laid down for a red card. As it is CoCs attract lower sanctions."

So it is not clear.

Sugestion, tell the player: "That is a red card offence I am reporting you." Then seek guidence from your socety as to whether you use a RC report of a CoC.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sugestion, tell the player: "That is a red card offence I am reporting you." Then seek guidence from your socety as to whether you use a RC report of a CoC.

IE don't show a card
( But yes that's an appropriate way to handle it)

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Indeed a card is only a "piece of theatre" for the benefit of spectators.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Agree with wider points above about cards after the whistle - a sort of pointless act and out of law. There's a wider refereeing management point to be made here.

This is potentially a problem of the referees making. You know what the clock time is. And you know the temperature of the game/incident. So dont create more of a flashpoint that you need to. Blow the whistle for the scrum. Buy time for people to calm down. Walk back to the spot of the scrum. Then blow full time. Hopefully those extra seconds will help diffuse the flashpoint and saves you a load of grief!

i disagree with this, it’s effectively blaming a referee for the players’ lack of discipline. Players, teams and coaches need to take responsibility for their actions and not cop out by blaming ‘poor’ refereeing or game management.