Age no longer a barrier to a referee's promotion aspects.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
A email has been sent out to all Societies from the RFU regarding the use of an officials age as a barrier to prevent promotion through the gradings system is as they put it "would be blatant age discrimination which is illegal"

Here is a link to the email that was posted on the Army page just incase some Societies still have secret email chains that some officials are not involved in.

http://www.armyrugbyunion.org.uk/wp...ing-to-the-grading-of-referees-2015-04-07.pdf

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
excellent!

in practice, though, I don't really have any sense that age is factor when assessing a referee's performance or ability on the day -- but I do think it is a factor in allocating coaching and development resources.

An example : two relatively inexperienced refs, both been reffing a year or so, both graded 12, one of them is 19, the other is 53.
At their next assessment I can beleive that age is no factor and performance will determine if they make 11 : but over the next three seasons, in terms of investing the limited coaching/development resources needed to get to L8, L6, National panel -- it's clear that those resources are better spent on the young guy ... isn't it?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
No ****ing shit. Some of us have been saying that for a while.

I have no problem being overtaken by a younger referee as long as - and here's the critical piece - he or she is better than me, or close to 'as good as but boatloads of potential'.

Some organizing bodies, not looking at Colorado at all, seem to have forgotten that piece.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
yes
- early over-promotion because there is potential seems senseless
- investment in training/development becaue there is potential semes sensible and if it works we would expect rapid promotion to follow.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Discrimination will only be justified if the discriminatory step is necessary and appropriate to achievea legitimate aim. Refusing to grade a referee on the basis of age is unlikely to be deemed necessaryor appropriate.
Is it a legitimate aim to get x years service out of a referee before he is too old to continue so as to recoup all the resources ploughed into developing him? I suspect that might raise its head, and the answer will be "well he was not quite as good as so-and-so".

(Cynic? Me?!)