Alain Rolland

mike_fernlea

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
He was entered into the IRFU Hall of Fame yesterday on the pitch and Lansdown Road just before the Ireland v NZ game

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Top ref. Well deserved honour. A pity Ireland were not able to put the icing on the cake for him.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
47! that's pretty impressive to be that fit at that age.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just seen a good interview with Alain on the 26 February edition of iRB Total Rugby

Who knew his nickname is Cinderella?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Top referee that trod the line of impartiality when officiating the French

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
In this evenings game Leinster v Munster at the Aviva :
Alain Rolland after 25 minutes of play Blue attacking scrum 5, goes down Penalty against Red.
The referee calls over Red1 & Blue3 to say
Ref said:
"If I'm stisified that it's going down on this side one more time, I'm going to get the two of you to leave and two new people will be coming on. Have I made myself clear?"
Red1 answers "Yeah." Blue3 having milked a penalty in a very kickable position didn't reply. Red 1 was yellow carded at 53 minutes of play, only not for a scrum offence, it was following a general warning for slowing down the opposition ball in the ruck. Yet Blue3 continued to collaspe the scrum on each of several Red put-ins ; magically keeping it up on their own put in. He was eventually subbed off after 77 minutes of play suffering from cramp. (He has played alot of Rugby for Ireland over the past 6 weeks.)
Why take a strong line with the front rows and then not follow it up with action? Which Law could he have evoked to support his choice of subbing both players?

Excellent BOD try sealed the game for Leinster in the end.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
The two of them were messing around, need to remove the red tinted glasses. He wasn't going to sub them I'd suggest that a YC was on the way for both of them.

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
which he's done a few times before!

L'irlandais

Post Likes
The two of them were messing around, need to remove the red tinted glasses :pepper:. He wasn't going to sub them I'd suggest that a YC was on the way for both of them.
Fair enough. But that was at 25 minutes of play, the scrum collasped many (far too many) times after that. Why didn't he send them both off the very next time it went down? Either that or simply not paint himself into a corner where props are not respecting what the referee says.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
My mistake, the ref lost his patience just before the half time mark.

Incident can be seen here : Official Playlist. None the less, there were further scrums collapsed by the same two props, without the esteemed ref carrying out his threat to send (or rather sub) them both off.
Why say it at all? :shrug:

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
There were a number of solid scrums after the warning that were fine, there were also scrums that went down that were not the result of kilcoyne and ross messing about.