Ambulance/First Aid

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have been unpleasantly surprised by the lack of qualified medical support around at most of my games this year.

Is there a requirement for all matches to have adequate medical representation prior to kick off?

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Varies by country.

I seem to recall there was a requirement for an ambulance when I refereed in South Africa.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
One can of course always ask a club about there medical support on arrival at the ground.
But you may wish you hadn't asked.

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
Varies by country.

I seem to recall there was a requirement for an ambulance when I refereed in South Africa.

In South Africa we play one "whole club" against another - so 4ths play against 4ths, 3rds against 3rds, 2nd against 2nds and 1sts against 1sts - meaning that on any given Saturday play starts around 12pm and finishes around 6 - with as many as up to 10 teams represented.

Because of this, St John's are represented at every match.

As an aside, and very helpful, is that the refs for the 3rds and 2nds are then on hand to act as AR for the 1sts game, making it a much easier prospect for the ref handling the big game...

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Once upon a time we used to play against clubs through all the teams... and then they introduced leagues and buggered it all up!!!

Seconds and fourths travelling on the coach together across the Pennines and getting back at midnight - ah, those were the days...

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Once upon a time we used to play against clubs through all the teams
Yes, but as you imply 1st and 3rd would be at one venue, 2nd and 4th at the other. AIUI the SA model is to have all teams at the one location - no bar revenue at the other that day:frown:

In Maryland we followed the SA model, but we did not have any bar revenue to worry about, since only one local team had a club house (a farmer's barn!). 2nd, followed by 1st, followed by 3rd. This meant the thirds could be topped up by 2nd teamers if necessary (and it often was).

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
2nd, followed by 1st, followed by 3rd. This meant the thirds could be topped up by 2nd teamers if necessary (and it often was).

....we would provide substitutes to the team above....so 7 from the 4ths would be on the bench for the 3rds, 7 from the 3rds would be on the bench for the 2nds and so on up....this helped with both fitness and ensuring everyone got loads of game time...

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
....we would provide substitutes to the team above....so 7 from the 4ths would be on the bench for the 3rds, 7 from the 3rds would be on the bench for the 2nds and so on up....this helped with both fitness and ensuring everyone got loads of game time...

and hence the need for the ambulance on standby?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Fortunately we have the NHS in UK I've found that has been sufficient when required.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I've been ref at one ambulance call - tibia and fibula in pre-season friendly 3 years ago.

Waited 20 minutes.

This Saturday just gone is the first time I recall both teams having dedicated physios (deedly deet dee dee - two ladies) as opposed to a bloke/coach/replacement with a bucket.

IME below L9 anyone in attendence first aid wise is a bonus.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
At local "public" school matches they arrange St Johns to be on-site, but then i guess they have the funds to do so!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
At local "public" school matches they arrange St Johns to be on-site, but then i guess they have the funds to do so!

Where it is pronounced "Sinjin" Ambulance.:biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
....and yet, they still respond when we call them St John's - go figure :tongue:

Listen carefully while they bandage your head and through clenched teeth you'll hear...........it's St John Ambulance...it's St John Ambulance..it's St ****in' John Ambulance..:biggrin:

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Recall game in thick mud, teaming rain etc (the good old days of 9 man rugby) when player down injured.
Waiting for player to recover when (female?) apparition (5ft tall, 5ft wide) in Wellington boots and St J uniform and great coat was spotted trundling across the pitch armed with large bag.
Miracle! Player recovered and rose to his feet. Apparition hesitated. Player waved arms to show all well. Apparition withdrew slowly and reluctantly.
No more injuries that game. Apparition never seen again at club... Happy ending :)