Another Assessment

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
Level 9 game, feisty and always threatening to boil over, so I was quite pleased I managed to keep control of it.

Here is the report:

NAME OF REFEREE: MIKE SELIG LEVEL: 10 SOCIETY WSOR

MATCH TYPE: LEAGUE LEVEL: 9 DATE: 08-10-2011

MATCH RESULT: Green (10) 27 Pts v Red (10) 20 Pts

1. CHALLENGE OF THE MATCH
The overall play was very scrappy due to the number of penalties and the numerous handling errors.
The overall penalty count was 16 in the first half and 15 in the second half of which some 70% was down to the home side.
Red dominated most of the play but appeared to want to keep the play in the forwards and not pass to their threes, who scored three good tries on the rare occasions the ball was passed out. Due to this style of play, the visitors lost at two tries from intense pressure when in, their opponent’s 5 M area.
Both sides had occasions of attacking rugby but most were let down by handling errors or incorrect decisions.
The overall play was very competitive with a certain amount of niggle creeping in during the second half, and generally of poor quality.
The match was a good challenge for Mike, as he controlled the niggle between players and prevented any outburst of ill discipline.

2. MATCH MANAGEMENT:
Control:
Due to the number of penalties and minor infringements that created a stop star style of play, Mike’s overall control prevented any flash points or lack of discipline between players.
His control was achieved by arriving quickly to the break-down, positive communications and applying the correct sanctions for any infringements of law.
During the first half, the visiting No 13 was yellow carded for an illegal use of the boot - not sufficiently vicious to receive a red.
During the second half, after some 20 mins of play, the visiting No 13 received his second yellow card, this time for a dangerous tackle, which was followed by the red.
After some 28 mins Mike spoke to the captains regarding the high number of penalties at the different phases of play only to be followed, within minutes, by a home team player committing another offence at a maul situation – a yellow card was given.
To help prevent the high number of penalties Mike needed to speak to the captain or captains after the first batch of penalties rather than wait to the second half. An earlier warning and possibly followed by a yellow card would have settled down the play.
Mike appeared to be under pressure (see Areas to develop) at the rucks and scrums, and at times was too quick with his decisions. It is important to remain calm throughout the game for the players will notice any changes with the style of refereeing. Other than those two areas, Mike was confident with his decisions and relaxed with his refereeing.

Communications:
Mike’s pre match was positive as to what he required at different phases of play. His communications with whistle, voice and hand signals were to a good standard that clearly informed players and spectators as to his decisions.
Positive advice at the breaks down was given that allowed the opportunity for a quick release of the ball.
During periods when pressure built up, his verbal communications tended to quicken that gave an impression of “mild panic”, which resulted in decisions (penalties) being too quick. In these situations, he needed to remain calm and take a little longer with his decision.
Identifying a player by his shirt colour and number can help to prevent an infringement prior to it happening and also, it informs the player at fault.

PLEASE ASSESS THE REFEREE’S MATCH MANAGEMENT USING THE CRITERIA: MD

3 THE REFEREE’S POTENTIAL

Mike has the potential to progress but requires more hands-on experience at his current grade.

SIGNATURE OF ASSESSOR: X DATE 08-10-2011
NAME: X SOCIETY: WSR

KEY COMPONENTS

TACKLE KICKS
ADVANTAGE SCRUM
RUCK LINE-OUT
AREAS TO DEVELOP - Please select up to three of the above units to outline areas that need to be developed using the Key Components Descriptors.
Scrum:
The only area that was a problem was the binding-on of the front row players, as on numerous occasions the front rows lifted up. The main reason was the home side loose- head prop (on his opponent’s throw-in) was not correctly binding on his opponent (not binding or binding underneath) and was therefore creating some disruption.
When Mike recognised an infringement, he applied the correct sanction.
When the front row is lifted, it is most important to stop the play as it is illegal, a potential flash point and a safety issue. If there is a problem with the front row, he should move to that side when setting the scrum.
For Mike to gain more knowledge of the front row binding, I suggested he seek some coaching advice from the society, and to visit a local club’s training sessions.

Rucks:
To improve his overall vision Mike needed to stand slightly deeper and not so close. It was during this phase when infringements and tensions built up between the players and Mike would instantly blow for an infringement rather than advise the player/s prior to the infringement (hands, off, on your feet, etc.) or see if there was a possible advantage to the non- offending side. This quick penalty tended to create stop-start play and frustration with the players. Players were generally slowing down the release of the ball rather than making it quick.l.
With an improved position, he would improve his vision of the defending non-participants from infringing their offside lines and retain a more positive view of the ruck play. Looking up more and just pointing can always help control the non-participants.
The main point, is for Mike to remain calm and relaxed and not rush decisions when the pressure builds up

Tackle:
During the first 20 mins, of the first half, Green were penalised 5 times for not releasing the ball/tackler.
Mike should have warned the captain, after the second offence, that if repeated, other sanctions would be applied..
It is important to act early with the warnings to prevent any build-up from the opposition from taking possible action.
After the fifth penalty, the “message” was received and no further problems arose.

REFEREE’S STRENGTHS - Please select up to three of the above units to outline the referee’s strengths in this match, using the Key Components descriptors.
Tackle:
Other than the above point, Mike had an effective control of the tackle that allowed for fair competition of the ball and continuity in play. He controlled this phase by arriving quickly to the tackle, giving clear advice to the tackler and tackled player, to release and roll away, and to the arriving players to remain on their feet, etc.
Once the tackle developed into a ruck, the players were informed the tackle was over and was now a ruck.
This positive control allowed for the possibility of a quick release of the ball.
The correct sanctions were applied for any infringements of law

Maul:
Mike demonstrated an effective control of the maul that allowed for fair competition of the ball. Control, was achieved by quickly arriving to the breakdown, clear communications and the application of the correct sanction for any infringements of law – 1yellow card to a home player for a side entry after a previous warning
This area of play was very competitive but well controlled that prevented any possible flash points.

Line-out:
The metre gap was positively set and maintained that allowed for fair competition of the ball and continuity in play.
Mike had an effective control of the phase by his positive communications to the jumpers and the non-participants, from infringing their offside lines.
It made a change to see a referee blow for “not straight”.
A well refereed phase of play.

Comments:

First things first, 31 penalties of which 24 to the home side, and first YC (for persistent infringing) took 70odd minutes. Not good... Surprised as usually I'm fairly quick on the warnings and cards. Didn't spot trends well enough (I knew the Pen count was high but thought it was more 2:1 or 1.5:1 rather than 3.5:1). Mea culpa and make sure that doesn't happen again.

Scrums: becoming a problem. I admitted this candidly in the debrief which led to the suggestion of going to a local club training session. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Positioning: although the report doesn't say so, I was improved (see previous reports) so just need to keep working and telling myself to move more and deeper around the rucks.

Panicking: I was under pressure but musn't let it show. Any tips would be appreciated.

Happy that tackle has been well managed twice in 2 weeks now, and that fitness is recognised.

Did a Uni game earlier today, thought again off-sides were improved, but scrums... ?

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've been mentioned in a match report on one of the club's websites (no prizes for guessing which one). Apparently one of the tries I gave "seemed to be clearly held up over the line, but the young referee awarded the score" (a player had gotten his feet under some of the ball, but clearly didn't prevent the grounding). Also, "A huge talking point in the match which generated great ire in the travelling ranks occurred when Park, with only seven men in the pack, pushed Welsh back from the 22 in a scrum to within metres of the line only for it to collapse.
Park opted for another scrum, which the referee again whistled for a penalty. Sensing the inevitable penalty try, Park again packed down for a scrum from another penalty offence – but a young official seemed reluctant to apply the letter of the law under intense pressure from the opposing captain." Well, what can I say, first scrum collapsed 6 meters from the try-line (does that constitute a prob try? I thought not), none of the other scrums gained any forward momentum. Assessor agreed with me that I couldn't give PT for repeated infringements (although I agreed with him that my YC was ridiculously late, he said "about 60 minutes" I thought more like "50" but...)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The match report is ill-informed but not otherwise worrisome IMO. They've been listening to Stuart Barnes: "three penalties in the Red Zone - gotta be a PT". I wonder if they've ever seen the letter of the law? You certainly have, but there's no point in worrying about that.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Was it really pushed back from the 22 to 6 metres out? If so, my question to self would be "Is there really any likelihood of it being stopped other than by illegal means?"

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
OB: the report exagerates. The scrum was pushed from about 15 meters out to 6 meters out. Number 8 only had sporadic control. There was an argument for a PT but TBH I didn't consider it for too long.

Dixie: agreed. The report also said the first yellow against Red 13 was for "playing the ball from an off-side position" (it was for a kick), and Park actually had 8 men in the pack at all time (they dropped a back, but still had 8 in the scrum). Tee-hum.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
MIke, not sure if this is an issue for you, but i know something i was doing at this level was looking for too much of a trend before escallating.

i.e. I was looking for tackler not rolling away, hands in the ruck, not coming through the gate and back foot o/s, when what you should be looking for are offences at the breakdown, matters not what they are, just that there is a mounting number of PK at the breakdown.

Good to see you're getting better level games, keep up the progression!

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
OB: the report exagerates. The scrum was pushed from about 15 meters out to 6 meters out. Number 8 only had sporadic control. There was an argument for a PT but TBH I didn't consider it for too long.

Still a long way to push a scrum. If the subsequent scrums are going down under pressure then the power of the oppo has been demonstrated at this 'massive' surge. It doesn't matter whether the 8 had control - if the ball was still in the scrum then I would argue that he did.

IMO - based on your description - a PT was certainly a consideration.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
One problem new refs often have is that they are too nice, too understanding of a side's failures and reluctant to "punish" them before they've had lots of chances to rectify their faults.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
One problem new refs often have is that they are too nice, too understanding of a side's failures and reluctant to "punish" them before they've had lots of chances to rectify their faults.
Pious hope. The trouble, of course, is that "rectify" is in reality replaced with "ingrain".