Another yellow card

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did pre match chat as normal today. Spoke to the captains and we agreed we would work together as a three to keep the discipline. From the outset cries of "he's got his hands on ref" and "knock on ref". I try and lid it. Call blue captain over and explain the behaviours needs to change as I don't want another 70 minutes of this. Things are quiet for a while. Another bit of back chat, penalty, then brought on ten yards as the miscreant gobs off again.

5 minutes later after a lineout,the blue prop says to my back "how straight does it have to be then ref?" I give a penalty and yellow card for dissent (not going through the captain ).

Got a bit of a reaction at the time, seems now to be over the top, but a question how do we control such situations? I had asked, told, penalised and was concerned we were going to have an afternoon of this chuntering. But was it too harsh? How else would other refs deal with it?

Things did quieten down afterward........

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Card sounds a bit over the top to me. I may be reading between the lines here but I think you allowed yourself to get annoyed and that's why you carded him (correct me if i'm wrong).

Personally I would have gone with another penalty and a bollocking to the captain for not controlling his players.

But then.......if it worked :wink:

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Card sounds a bit over the top to me. I may be reading between the lines here but I think you allowed yourself to get annoyed and that's why you carded him (correct me if i'm wrong).

Personally I would have gone with another penalty and a bollocking to the captain for not controlling his players.

But then.......if it worked :wink:

yeah, you're right I was cross. I will keep the bollocking option under my hat for next time.......presumably then they have no complaint for next time........???????

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Having read your other post first, it seems that Blue have a self-discipline issue that has not been capped by previous referees. You have just made it a little bit easier for next week's referee, hopefully. They'll show you a bit more respect next time too.

But in general probably a little quick to your holster/wallet for this level.

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
One of the many things for which I have no tolerance is the 'appealing' for decisions. If feasible, I will generally have a quiet word with the offender at the next breakdown; next offence is a clear warning to the skipper normally spoken within hearing distance of the forwards, third offence is a penalty, all other offences are cards. I have often given a card, cannot recall ever having to give two.

Week afore last was given my annual MOT by a very experienced (His report was top class!!) 'watcher/adviser'. His report read something like, 'Blue appeared to be a very ill discipilined side with several players attempting to influence NM's decisions from the start. Within the first two minutes, NM had influenced them to such an extent that not one more attempt was made for the rest of the match'.

Zero tolerance!

NM

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
yeah, you're right I was cross. I will keep the bollocking option under my hat for next time.......presumably then they have no complaint for next time........???????

Cool calm collected and objective ?

Taffy you are too emotional and reactive, stay detached.

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cool calm collected and objective ?

Taffy you are too emotional and reactive, stay detached.

Again you're right Simon! I was aware it was a step up in terms of the level of game yesterday. This was reflected in the spectators. Used to two men and a dog there were about 200 there. I think that unwittingly this had a natural response that when you're not used to crowd cat calls it does make you question your authority. I remembered to keep smiling a lot! One forward pass I called back when they were heading for a try got a large crowd reaction, but afterwards the home side coach (whose side I had called back) confirmed I had got it spot on.

Your nr comment is helpful and I guess the thing to remember is to follow the same pattern for each game there was probably a lot of kidology going on yesterday. Even afterwards the prop I had binned for this told me it was completely fine to question me and in 17 years of playing he had never sen such a bad decision. You've got to have great self belief to wear that reffing Jersey haven't you?

Shuld there be be any laxity or different approach to any different level game?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Taffy:283905 said:
Did pre match chat as normal today. Spoke to the captains and we agreed we would work together as a three to keep the discipline.......

What do people think about doing this? For me it feels a little bit false, so I don't go down that route.... But I know it's fairly common

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I called the captain over yesterday, and told him that apparently his 6 didn't want the advantage and try but the penalty 30m out instead.

before I could suggest he wanted to get a grip, I got two suggestions, one from the coach and one from the coach carrying the tee:
"go tell him he's a dumbass sir. I'm ok with that"
"just get rid of him sir; we won't miss him"

*arched eyebrow*

"yeah, I'll handle it sir"

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I tell captains that discipline is THEIR issue. If they can't / will not sort it, I will.

It always amuses me when, after a try, a player moans about so offence the other side committed. "that's what the advantage was for. Don't you want the try?" They usually shut it.