Ask the IRB - TODAY (TUESDAY)

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Hi all

Im at the iRB ConfEx in London and have the opportunity to speak to Brett Gosper, IRB Chief Executive later on today.

I was here yesterday and wrote this piece on RugbyReferee.net which will be the mainstay of my questioning, but feel free to contribute other questions.

Also trying to speak to John Jeffrey, head of the IRB Officiating appointments panel too.

Will probably be late afternoon when I get my chance so you have 7-8 hours! Go!!!

SilverMoon

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Hi all

Im at the iRB ConfEx in London and have the opportunity to speak to Brett Gosper, IRB Chief Executive later on today.

I was here yesterday and wrote this piece on RugbyReferee.net which will be the mainstay of my questioning, but feel free to contribute other questions.

Also trying to speak to John Jeffrey, head of the IRB Officiating appointments panel too.

Will probably be late afternoon when I get my chance so you have 7-8 hours! Go!!!
Dare you ask what the process is for appointing TMOs to International matches and how are they assessed by their own Unions ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ian said in another thread that there is an IRB directive that the conversation between TMO and Ref should NOT be broadcast any more. But it still was by Sky. What's the current position on this? What is their direction ?

I can see both sides of the argument, but have always tended to think that the Ref and TMO should be allowed to have a natural language conversation in private.

KML1

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Crossref - I can answer that one. The IRb have requested it as a trial. The RFU, because of the existing arrangements and agreements with broadcasters, have declined to be involved in the trial, hence the Sky games from HQ carrying the TMo voice.

Silvermoon - all officials are involved in the review process. The MO is MOing all 4 of them.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Crossref - I can answer that one. The IRb have requested it as a trial. The RFU, because of the existing arrangements and agreements with broadcasters, have declined to be involved in the trial, hence the Sky games from HQ carrying the TMo voice. .

Interewstig, so in the trial, is the conversation between the Ref and TMO still restricted by the various protocols we are used to, or are they allowed to converse more naturally now they are out or earshot?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ask him where the Australian leg of the IRB 7s will be held and will it be in Nov or Feb.

KML1

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Interewstig, so in the trial, is the conversation between the Ref and TMO still restricted by the various protocols we are used to, or are they allowed to converse more naturally now they are out or earshot?

Just out of earshot. In the RFU, we are encouraged to have normal conversation with the referee. I hope anyone watching BT Sport should recognise the change in chat from last season to this.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I obviously hadn't :redface:
but then I don't actually watch much club rugby on TV.
I watch Harlequins live but - very annoyingly - they no longer have Ref-Link at the Stoop.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The things that are important to a grassroots referee are likely of absolutely no interest to someone driving the commercial game, but just in case .....

How far can the Elite game drive toward showbiz/entertainment before it requires a separate (condensed) set of Laws? "Immaterial" now seems to cover a host of elite player actions.

Can Law clarifications be incorporated into Law immediately, rather sitting in a separate archive?

How can professional refereeing ( and the standards increasingly required by the game at all levels ) be acheived without a progressive remuneration structure (that follows the coaching/player earnings commensurate with the level operated at) producing/supporting the sport?

Should residency qualification period be reduced to two days , to allow players to jet in (overcome lag) from any location on the planet and play for whoever will pay them the most?
( sorry, it was unresistable!)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
What is the strategic imperative for the IRB? Global expansion, or primarily Tier 2 Nations? In essence - where are the $$ going to be spent?

Given the rise of 7s and it's prominence in emerging markets (yes, the USA) and the the Olympics, is there any concern that over time it may overtake XVs as the primary forms of the game. I don't want it to get like Test cricket where it now seems to struggle against the short form of the game